Ramapo Mountain SF
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Ramapo Mountain SF

Member #

Ramapo Mountain SF

Trying to locate a map of Ramapo State Forest that shows which area is open for hunting. I know the park only has 10% huntable area. I recently started working in Mahwah and can get over to that area in 5 minutes...maybe get an afternoon hunt in when slow at the office.

Member #
    You have to request one from the state dept of parks office in ringwood. That's where I got mine a few years ago. I live in Oakland and it gets hunted pretty hard. I can't tell you how many time I planned on shooting up there for a quick hunt and there was no room to even park. Quite a few regulars in there all the time. (I used to be) Plenty of bears around too. if you have problems with dept of parks getting you one let me know and I'll dig mine up...
    Good luck and stay clear of Oakland residential side of park. I've heard some stories with the cops confronting people in the woods beyond state land up there many times due to homeowners in the ramapo reserve complaining.

Member #
    Thanks for the reply Highstrung. I was wondering how crowded the area would be based on the small portion of the park and the proximity to Bergen County with ZERO public hunting land. I have also heard of the Oakland PD patrols there as well. Thanks for the heads up!

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

GWO
    Member #
    My advice is if you hear banjos playing head in the opposite direction
    Zone9DeerSlayer likes this.

Member #
    - heard that too! LMAO.

Super Moderator Zone9DeerSlayer's Avatar
    Member #
    The Jackson Whites will get you up there! No thanks... good thing I read weird NJ they warned me to stay away from Stag Hill.
    freddesrf likes this.
    NRA Life Member, NJ2AS Member, RTSP Range Member, Sussex County Federation Of Sportsmen's Clubs Recording Secretary, Knee Deep Club Member

Member #
    As with any state land get off the beaten path and the land will produce for you. I hiked around a ton early fall this year and I saw a severe decline in deer sign compared to other year in the pasts. I used to manage a few cameras back in there and have seen some good ones but not really all of a great spot for a quick hunt with the amount of pressure.
    Negative on the other place you PM'd me about.

Member #
    Go into the woods heavy like others have said if you hear banjos have an exit strategy set check ins with a third party etc. Or hunt somewhere else a dirt bike run through those mtns when I was a kid was enough to convince me to look elsewhere

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Zone9DeerSlayer View Post
    The Jackson Whites will get you up there! No thanks... good thing I read weird NJ they warned me to stay away from Stag Hill.
    I am not one to usually chime in on other's posts, but I'm kindly asking you to refrain from using the term Jackson Whites on New Jersey Hunter. There are a number of decent, hardworking, hunters on this site who are Ramapo Mountain Indians, some of whom I am friends with. It is insulting to them to hear this derogatory term - especially from a Super Moderator. Thank you in advance.
    BIG GAME, njlefty, toxo and 2 others like this.

Super Moderator Zone9DeerSlayer's Avatar
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthJerseyMike View Post
    I am not one to usually chime in on other's posts, but I'm kindly asking you to refrain from using the term Jackson Whites on New Jersey Hunter. There are a number of decent, hardworking, hunters on this site who are Ramapo Mountain Indians, some of whom I am friends with. It is insulting to them to hear this derogatory term - especially from a Super Moderator. Thank you in advance.
    Apologies if I offended you. Actually I believe the term came from "the Jack's & Whites" both common last names of the Ramapo mountain people at one time. Somehow it became "the Jackson Whites over the years". I've been all over those woods throughout the years, and Reguardless of what you call the people that live there the place has a creepy vibe to it without doubt. But I have to admit I was never attacked or had bad experiences with any of the local people. I know it's just folklore. I was actually poking fun at the urban legend, it's difficult to judge sarcasm from reading it in plain txt.
    NRA Life Member, NJ2AS Member, RTSP Range Member, Sussex County Federation Of Sportsmen's Clubs Recording Secretary, Knee Deep Club Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors