Parking areas in WMAs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Parking areas in WMAs

Member #

Parking areas in WMAs

FINALLY convinced my parents to let me get a bow! anyway....What is parking generally like in WMAs? I was looking for a place to park in Whittingham and it seems the parking area right before the intersection of fredon springdale road and hollyhock way is just a grass patch on the side of the road and just beyond the intersection is a gravel patch. Are these types of areas legal to park in? I have never been to a WMA before, so I don't want to show up having parked illegally, as I am trying to start scouting/ learning the woods as soon as it warms up a bit.

Member #
    Depends on the WMA. I often have to park on the side of the road and never have an issue. Good luck with everything.

Member #
    What you should do is make a post and ask for help being this is your first year hunting. Put your location and what you intend to hunt. I guarantee someone will meet up with you and show you where to park and take some time to help you scout out a spot to hunt. Don't be afraid to ask. Of course you will get some smart ass replies but hey that's NJH lol. There are many guys and gals on here that will go out of their way to mentor a new hunter.
    Hondo likes this.
    When all else fails..... call in an Airstrike

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    I have a couple spots I always park at. Just off the edge of the road... kinda out of the way of hunters. Its more of a walk for me where I park but I dont necessarily want to be gearing up right on top of my spots.
    United we stand, Divided we fall.

Member #
    Most wmas have a designated parking areas. You can get a ticket if you park off the road in some towns depending upon the attitude of the cop that drives by.
    Always public... Always with a bow!

Member #
    All the parking areas at WMA's I've been at were always gravel, never seen a paved one yet.

Member #
    The wma buy me Monmouth county are dirt and they dont plow them, its hard to park in the snow.

Member #
    When using this Topo Map of Whittingham WMA the gravel area east of the intersection in question should be the parking area. The map also shows an office right around the corner (just not sure anyone would be there) you could check out.

The map below is from Bing Maps showing two areas you could possible use.

Name:  Whittingham Parking Areas.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  55.9 KB

Best of luck to you.
    slayer1962 likes this.
    My "Handle" is not my aim, I'm paralyzed as a C4-5 quadriplegic.

New Jersey Hunting Maps

Member #
    Take a ride around your first time there. Get the lay of the land, and pick the closest designated lot to the land that looks best. Good luck!

Member #

Talking whittingham

Quote Originally Posted by jtre View Post
    FINALLY convinced my parents to let me get a bow! anyway....What is parking generally like in WMAs? I was looking for a place to park in Whittingham and it seems the parking area right before the intersection of fredon springdale road and hollyhock way is just a grass patch on the side of the road and just beyond the intersection is a gravel patch. Are these types of areas legal to park in? I have never been to a WMA before, so I don't want to show up having parked illegally, as I am trying to start scouting/ learning the woods as soon as it warms up a bit.
    My first bowhunt was in whittingham in 1971. I hunted it quite a while. First get the map off the internet for the Whittingham WMA and read the rules and regs !!! There are half the number of hunters using it now, but they are well informed. We all seem to be able to hone in on the most productive areas in the hardwoods due to all the knowledge at our fingertips. You will have to put the feet to the turf if you are going to find a nice stand location. You will have to work for it !! I took a walk in this season to a favorite spot i used my climber in many times , only to discover a ladder stand locked in ten yards from "my" tree. Thats public land hunting now. Be prepared to see many bears in whittingham.
    That gravel spot you mention is parking area 1. Across the street is Nature Conservancy "no hunting". If you drive past it and make the first left, the Whittingham WMA office is on the right. Thats where they check the bears in. Continue to the next dirt left turn and that is lot 2. This is where i recommend because it will get you back into the woods faster. Do not leave anything of value in view in your vehicle. I have been bowhunting for 42 yrs. and mostly hunt old mine rd. now even though i live a mile from Whittingham. Best of luck and be safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors