Bear - Rt. 287 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Bear - Rt. 287

Member #
    Shocking:surprise

SS!
    "All that evil needs to Triumph is for good men and women to stand by and do nothing"

Member #
    Pictures please..... I am up in Warren and have heard of two bear sightings in a street right behind my house.... All other sightings (there's been about a dozen of them reported) have all been on the other side of town. I have a large dog and have never really dealt with bear in the past. I turn on all of the lights, and let my little guy do his thing right in front of the house (where I have clear vision of site to the garbage cans). I make sure all of the lights are on, there is noise made, and ensure the coast is clear prior to letting him out... I don't want to harm the bear, but if its my dog or the bear, you can bet it won't be the bear..... Any suggestions or ways I should be handling this? I am also planning on putting an 8 foot high fence but I hear they also climb... Thanks

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by NJHunter714 View Post
    Pictures please..... I am up in Warren and have heard of two bear sightings in a street right behind my house.... All other sightings (there's been about a dozen of them reported) have all been on the other side of town. I have a large dog and have never really dealt with bear in the past. I turn on all of the lights, and let my little guy do his thing right in front of the house (where I have clear vision of site to the garbage cans). I make sure all of the lights are on, there is noise made, and ensure the coast is clear prior to letting him out... I don't want to harm the bear, but if its my dog or the bear, you can bet it won't be the bear..... Any suggestions or ways I should be handling this? I am also planning on putting an 8 foot high fence but I hear they also climb... Thanks
    I have seen tiny 7 lb dogs tree 500 pound bears so often it's laughable. Never saw a bear get aggressive with any dog that was not chained to a tree. Chain your dog outside and it will become bear food. Same dog off lead and it will chase the bear up a tree most every time. Today (so far) was the first day in over a week I haven't seen a bear, but I have a meeting at Pequest later, so I might see one or more on the way there....

To me, garbage cans are the big headache with bears. That and dragging out deer shot with archery gear in the fall and having bears challenge you for the kill. Otherwise, they're just bears being bears.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

X7_
    Member #
    I thought bears roamed in coveys seeking out dirty huggies?

Member #
    Frank, I saw a few behind the skating rink at Hewitt School yesterday.

Member #
    Def not the same bear.. Another bear humped up on the shoulder of the fast lane on rt 287 south just after Riverdale exit. Like 150lbs. Saw it coming home today. It's actually closer to montville..

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainSavage View Post
    Def not the same bear.. Another bear humped up on the shoulder of the fast lane on rt 287 south just after Riverdale exit. Like 150lbs. Saw it coming home today. It's actually closer to montville..
    It was 130 pounds. My friend picked it up. He works for the state.
    "The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringwoodfrank View Post
    Saw a pile of bear on the Northbound side of 287 just north of Pluckemin this morning on the way home form the Clinton range with the kids.
    A pile of bear sounds like roadkill.

Member #
    Had scat in our Sayreville spot last year. The woman that owns the property swore she had seen one now and then for years. We never believed her until we found the scat.

We've had 'em down that way (Sayreville, Woodbridge, Clark) at least as far back as 10 years ago ...

Court rules against N.J. bear hunting advocates | PennLive.com

Clark cops shoot 300-pound black bear as it charges Woodbridge officers | NJ.com
    "Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsors