Target practice in back yard. Legal???? - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Funny story, My little girl came home from school a few weeks ago and she told me that a chinese guy set up a target at the school field and was shooting his bow and arrow. Then she said they read him a story handcuffed him and put him in the back of the police car.I laughed my ass off.

Member #
    you cant practice if your town has a no discharge law

Member #
    Incorrect. 450' only applies to hunting.
    What I posted is from the digest pages 25 and 26 Page 25 says carrying a knocked arrow or loaded firearm within 450' is Specifically Prohibited. I'm not saying it the states saying it.
    Specifically Prohibited
    • Carrying a loaded firearm or nocked arrow (bowhunters, read about pending legislation
    under Safety Zone, page 26) within 450 feet of an occupied building or any school playground
    is prohibited, except the owner or lessee of a building and persons specifically authorized by
    him in writing may hunt within 450 feet of the building. Note: persons authorized to hunt
    within 450 feet of a building must be in the possession o

Page 26 is not as clear but that was tentative at time of print
    “If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking.” ― General George Patton

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    it all depends on your town's ordinances. If there is a no discharge law you can't shoot. Last year i had the cops show up and politely ask me to stop shooting my bow (even though no ordinance exists in my town) because "a concerned neighbor" called the police. I calmly and politely asked if i was breaking any laws which i was told no but it would make things easier if i stopped. Not being a wise ass i put my bow down and said if i'm not breaking any laws and you really need me to stop, i need to be arrested, and offered my hands for handcuffing. I can't establish a precedence of whenever i shoot my bow "someone" calls and i have to stop. The cop understood what i was getting at and asked if i wasn't going to stop and said i would when i was done practicing but i wouldn't be done as long as he was present because i needed to make my point that i'm doing a legal activity on my property and i don't want my rights stepped on. He ended up leaving, i shot a couple more rounds then went in the house. I know i was being watched by whomever called and my point was made, I'm legal so back off. The 450/150 rule only applies to hunting.

Member #
    dude talk to the neighbors and see if they mind.if they don't mind than do what you want and quit telling everyone what your up too. what the law doesnt know wont hurt their corrupt asses!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Member #
    What I posted is from the digest pages 25 and 26 Page 25 says carrying a knocked arrow or loaded firearm within 450' is Specifically Prohibited. I'm not saying it the states saying it.
    Specifically Prohibited
    • Carrying a loaded firearm or nocked arrow (bowhunters, read about pending legislation
    under Safety Zone, page 26) within 450 feet of an occupied building or any school playground
    is prohibited, except the owner or lessee of a building and persons specifically authorized by
    him in writing may hunt within 450 feet of the building. Note: persons authorized to hunt
    within 450 feet of a building must be in the possession o

Page 26 is not as clear but that was tentative at time of print
    ONLY while hunting!!

Member #
    target at the school field and was shooting his bow and arrow
    some schools have archery in gym class but i guess this guy was an idiot
    <°(((>{

Member #
    bill43

You are 100% incorrect sir.

What you are posting and assuming about ARE SPECIFICALLY Hunting Rules and regulations straight from the Hunting Digest which only apply to hunting.

There is NO STATE LAW against target shooting of any kind on the books here in New Jersey, some towns have there own ordinances that they enforce, but there is no state or federal laws pertaining to target shooting.

There are many people who target shoot and have never hunted or have anything to do with hunting. Safety Zone are "No Hunting Zones" NOT "No shooting Zones"

Pretty simple to get your answer just call F&WL and they will tell you it is a Hunting regulation pertaining to actual hunting only, Not a state shooting law.

Oh and one more point to make as you painted these hunting rules with a very broad stroke; the "450' Hunting Safety Zone" perimeter is only for Gun Hunting

the Bow Hunting "Hunting Safety Zone" perimeter is only 150'
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

YUP... }}}--I most certainly do chase BIG Bucks, BIG Birds, and BIG Fish--->

Best Jersey Bow Buck to date; 2011... 142 6/8”
    Best Jersey Gobbler to date; 2012 NWTF score of 77.5
    Best Jersey Northern Pike to date;
    40" (Passaic River Pike )
    Best Jersey Muskie to date; Still looking for him... LOL

Member #
    ONLY while hunting!!
    No the law says carry
    Specifically Prohibited
    within 450 feet of a building must be in the possession
    Pages 25 and 26 Read its in there and it says its says "specifically prohibited carrying a loaded firearm within 450 feet. Not Hunt. It says carry. I don't see how it can be any clearer. Unless you can't
    read.By using the term carry it makes the law broad enough to cover anything you can do with a knocked arrow or loaded gun. Such as target shooting
    “If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking.” ― General George Patton

Member #
    You are quoting hunting rules from the hunting digest these fish & Game regulations only pertains to hunting situation, THESE ARE NOT ACTUAL GUN OR SHOOTING STATE LAWS but just hunting regulation

By using the term carry it makes the law broad enough to cover anything you can do with a knocked arrow or loaded gun. Such as target shooting
    THE FACT IS That's just you ASSUMPTION NOT the actual state law
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

YUP... }}}--I most certainly do chase BIG Bucks, BIG Birds, and BIG Fish--->

Best Jersey Bow Buck to date; 2011... 142 6/8”
    Best Jersey Gobbler to date; 2012 NWTF score of 77.5
    Best Jersey Northern Pike to date;
    40" (Passaic River Pike )
    Best Jersey Muskie to date; Still looking for him... LOL

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsors