TO bait or not to bait ( not a bait ethics thread)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member #
    THIS IS NOT A BAIT ARGUMENT THREAD!! ADVICE ONLY
    I am writing this from the tree its real windy. As some of you know I have been hunting a 10 pter all year with some encounters I have gained a lot of information on this buck. The trail cams help a hole lot also. So I'm gonna make This as short and to the point as I can. This past week I got him 3 times at 630 I'm pretty sure I know where he's coming from because he faces the same way on cam and my friend had an encounter and watched him come from 120 yards away. The way the mountain is and the direction he comes through the woods narrow to about 350 yards wide due to houses then their is a development of houses with thick woods behind them where I think he beds the lease is kind of a slanted L but upside down has a 2 15 acre pieces the bottom where I'm hunting now is a thicket. Thought he may bed here but doesn't 99 percent sure. The top is on top of the mountain I scouted it last week and found rubs on litterally over 50 trees within one hundred yards big trees to and 2 giant scrapes the woods are real open though but its the top of mountain all interlocking ridges and a funnel. Then their is a real real thick area on he right where the development is. This location is if approximatly 400 yards from my current stand. I am going to move a stand tomorrow so my question is do I keep baiting the bottom and put no bait out at the new spot and try to cut em off Idk if it takes em 2 hrs to travel 400-500 yards but you never know. Bait both locations as I still will have a stand where I m now just a little higher up where I can see more. thanks for advice
    Hoyt Spyder 30 70#
    Grim Reaper 1 3/4 RT

Member #
    I wouldnt bait the new spot, try to cut him off heading to your baited spot. Move as close as you can to where you think hes coming from. You may need to change stand location upon sightings of him to get within range. Dont rush it, make small changes to try and close the distance on him. I am seeing bucks starting to run does again. I watched 2 different smaller bucks chasing last night so to patern him might be difficult..
    Economic disaster begins with a philosophy of doing less and wanting more. All values must be won by contest, and after they have been won, they must be defended.

Member #
    Bait. If the does come he will follow. Baiting will only get more and more effective as the season progresses.
    When all else fails..... call in an Airstrike

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Yeah I jusT done want to put feed out because I'm feel he's smart enough to know bait means hunters all I'm trying to do is stack the odds in my favor which is not likely but I can try maybee don't bait it until late Dec and see if I'm close enough to bedding area that hell pop out for food ?
    Hoyt Spyder 30 70#
    Grim Reaper 1 3/4 RT

Member #
    Stevo that's what I was thinking no crop fiels right now in area he's in so I was thinking feed could bring em out or make em go even more nocturnal
    Hoyt Spyder 30 70#
    Grim Reaper 1 3/4 RT

Member #
    Q: How's that baiting working out so far?
    A: Not that good.......NO BAIT.

Member #
    Deer Master bait has sucked last week in october to now only seeing does for most part but Sept and early to mid october bait was on fire with big bucks during day. You have a lot more knowledge than me tho so I know you know what your talking about
    Hoyt Spyder 30 70#
    Grim Reaper 1 3/4 RT

Member #
    Just try cutting him off with out bait and see what happens. You may be very suprised
    Economic disaster begins with a philosophy of doing less and wanting more. All values must be won by contest, and after they have been won, they must be defended.

Member #
    Keep refreshing the bait...move the stand near where you believe his bed is and only hunt it if the wind is right.

Member #
    September and Oct are summer feeding pattern deer. Bait is useless now. It's still all about hot does.
    Use some Estrous scents along with a grunt and can.
    I had two diffent 6 ptrs walk under my stand yesterday looking for a hot doe but only found a Code Blue estrous scent pad.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsors