Gun registration question
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By RPK0620

Thread: Gun registration question

Member #

Gun registration question

Friend of a friend of a friend type of thing ! I dont know much about ( gun laws ) but anyway here it goes .... A widow finds a gun that was her husbands , she didnt want it in the house , passes it to his husbands best friend ....years later he passes away ! Now another widow doesnt want the gun , years later passes it off to another guy ! Crazy right ,maybe knowbody should have this gun ! Any way , how would one go about checking to see if the gun is registerd and if it is or isnt could the person in possession have it registerd / transfer of ownership with out any paper work...? Gun laws can be very confusing trying to find some info to pass on....Thanks all , hope to see ya in the fields soon ! BR

Member #
    I would speak to an FFL for an accurate answer. otherwise i would shoot it and enjoy it responsibly

Dominant Buck shootemandmountem's Avatar
    Member #
    Going to assume it is a hand gun?

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemandmountem View Post
    Going to assume it is a hand gun?
    yes , pistol .22 cal I dont know the make or model .

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by slayer1962 View Post
    I would speak to an FFL for an accurate answer. otherwise i would shoot it and enjoy it responsibly
    Yeah I was hoping one of the members here was a FFL ..

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Boykin Runner View Post
    Friend of a friend of a friend type of thing ! I dont know much about ( gun laws ) but anyway here it goes .... A widow finds a gun that was her husbands , she didnt want it in the house , passes it to his husbands best friend ....years later he passes away ! Now another widow doesnt want the gun , years later passes it off to another guy ! Crazy right ,maybe knowbody should have this gun ! Any way , how would one go about checking to see if the gun is registerd and if it is or isnt could the person in possession have it registerd / transfer of ownership with out any paper work...? Gun laws can be very confusing trying to find some info to pass on....Thanks all , hope to see ya in the fields soon ! BR
    NJ Statute Law 2C:58-3:

(1) No person shall sell, give, transfer, assign or otherwise dispose of, nor receive, purchase, or otherwise acquire a handgun unless the purchaser, assignee, donee, receiver or holder is licensed as a dealer under this chapter or has first secured a permit to purchase a handgun as provided by this section.

(2) A person who is not a licensed retail dealer and sells, gives, transfers, assigns, or otherwise disposes of, or receives, purchases or otherwise acquires a handgun pursuant to this section shall conduct the transaction through a licensed retail dealer.

The provisions of this paragraph shall not apply if the transaction is:

(a) between members of an immediate family as defined in subsection n. of this section;

n. For the purposes of this section, "immediate family" means a spouse, domestic partner as defined in section 3 of P.L.2003, c.246 (C.26:8A-3), partner in a civil union couple as defined in section 2 of P.L.2006, c.103 (C.37:1-29), parent, stepparent, grandparent, sibling, stepsibling, child, stepchild, and grandchild, as related by blood or by law.

So unless the handgun has been left to you in the deceased's will or you are the direct inheritor of the estate without a will you may not legally be in possession. If the widow has lawfully inherited the handgun from her husband and wishes to transfer it to another, that person must first obtain a permit to purchase a handgun and the transfer must be made through a FFL "retail dealer."

As to registration. NJ has no requirement to register any firearm except for de facto registration of all sales through all NJ FFLs. If you inherit it legally or move into NJ from another state you are not required to register it.

One last thing, Gun dealers are not always the best place to get answers to obscure and changing NJ law. I've never seen a law degree on the wall of a gun shop. If you are engaging in a situation that could result in a charge that could cost you $10s of thousands or land you in jail with the loss of all your firearm privileges you should contact a lawyer specializing in firearms law.
    Last edited by ChenCaerulescens; 08-01-2019 at 05:49 PM.

Member #
    What gun ?
    "At home a friend will ask, “Been bird hunting?” You will say that you have, and when he asks,” Have any luck?” You will think of what you have held in your heart instead of your hand, and then answer that you certainly did—without a doubt." - Gene Hill

Sponsors