mineral sites
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: mineral sites

Member #

mineral sites

Thinking about doing my first mineral site and there are a ton of products out there. I have no idea which to go with. What does everyone use?

Member #
    tractor supply. if your afraid the blocks will get stolen then just smash them up with a hammer or buy granular bags.Champion's Choice Trace Mineral Salt Block, 50 lb. - For Life Out Here walmart water treatmewnt salt good too. cant grow horns with this stuff . helps the herd though.
    plunkit83 likes this.

Member #
    You may want to do a search on this site. I remember this being discussed some time ago with some good information. I make my own using (1) 50# di-calcium phosphate; (2) 50# trace mineral salt ; (1) 50# stock salt. Mix up and work into the ground. Call your local Agway to order. About $60 for 200#
    plunkit83, 1190ftalt and RussA like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    I use a mineralized salt block with molasses poured over it. I put a 50 lb block in the same place every Spring and they have a 4 inch depression dug where the block goes now.
    plunkit83 likes this.

Member #
    I don't go to crazy with them. I just use the red trace mineral salt blocks. . Here's a good read on them. Its not about making them but rather the science behind them. .

https://www.qdma.com/minerals-for-whitetails/
    “If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking.” ― General George Patton

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Treestandman View Post
    tractor supply. if your afraid the blocks will get stolen then just smash them up with a hammer or buy granular bags.Champion's Choice Trace Mineral Salt Block, 50 lb. - For Life Out Here walmart water treatmewnt salt good too. cant grow horns with this stuff . helps the herd though.
    Agreed ... If you take a saw and score the block about half way up, then put an axe blade in the score and whack it with a 4lb hammer those blocks shear in half nicely. Put half out now and the other half when it's gone. Lasts longer and less likely to get stolen. As has been said, I put one out in the same place for about 7 years now. There's a 3' diameter hole there about 10" deep. Had to move it a few feet this year to keep the mineral block from melting in the pond... LOL One more thing, I've found that the mineral block gets hammered during the summer and early season, then tails off a lot. Which is another reason to only put half out at a time.

Member #
    I used the homemade mix with a 25lbs tractor supply mineral lick in spring 2015 and nothing happened.I refreshed it a few times with small trace block chunks and some fine salt.When I checked it in Dec 2016 it was dug out.I am just going to put chunks of the mineral block in it now.Name:  PICT0075.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  227.0 KBName:  DSCN0054.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  218.9 KBAttachment 119785

Member #
    Name:  MFDC1837.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  177.2 KB

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by MallardHunter View Post
    You may want to do a search on this site. I remember this being discussed some time ago with some good information. I make my own using (1) 50# di-calcium phosphate; (2) 50# trace mineral salt ; (1) 50# stock salt. Mix up and work into the ground. Call your local Agway to order. About $60 for 200#
    This is exactly what I use, I bring out about 30 lbs at a time in a pillow case, find some fresh dirt , I find a spot in the oak tree area, remove like 3 inches of leaves In a 4 foot by 4 foot area, then turn the dirt over like 3 inches down , the better the dirt the better the deer like it, dump the 30 lbs in or how much you can carry, ratio 1 part Di-cal (grey), 1 part stock salt (white), 2 parts trace mineral (red) mix it into the dirt and then sprinkle a little apple koolade powder over the top to get there attention , they eat the dirt , and dig down almost 2 feet if you keep it going , suppose to be good for the mommas with the milk and good horn and bone growth for the youngins and older bucks! When it rains it drips down into the ground and I've seen them rip rocks out of the ground, this formula is used by farmers for cows , it works. Try to find a spot 100 yds from water cause the salt makes them thirsty, best to start the end of March and they will hit it till the acorns drop , for some reason they stop hitting it come fall, but it works , once they find it they keep coming back! Oh and don't premix at you house, it gets hard as a rock and you can't use, just mix the day you take out! Hope this helps, good luck !
    Last edited by 1190ftalt; 02-20-2017 at 06:38 PM.
    RussA and MallardHunter like this.

Member #
    Here is a picture of a mineral site , you can see the distinguished gentlemen with the branches sticking out of his head pawing and digging , I've seen them rip rocks out of the ground, and more importantly, no bears and it's good fir them !Name:  image.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  83.4 KB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors