Should I refurbish this fishing rod?
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Cuzzin' Buck
  • 1 Post By Shoot!
  • 1 Post By makosnax
  • 1 Post By Runner
  • 1 Post By mikejd

Thread: Should I refurbish this fishing rod?

Member #

Should I refurbish this fishing rod?

Years ago when my grandfather died, I took some fishing rods he must've used back in the day. They're nothing special as far as brand is concerned and really don't have a ton of sentimental worth since I never fished with him but he was a great guy and loving grandfather. Unfortunately I didn't get to spend a lot of time with him because of a less then amicable divorce...

Anyway, I'm looking for some advise from those that have or current do refurbish fishing rods.

Does this one look like something that can be refurbished? If so, where do I start? I'd like to do it myself... If not, let me know what you think?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  139.9 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  139.2 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  139.2 KB
    Runner likes this.

Member #
    I have only light experience building rods but I think it's certainly possible. It sounds like there is some sentimental value to it to you even though you say there isn't but I'd otherwise tell you a fiberglass rod would serve you much better. Blanks aren't that much but the process is time consuming.
    Cuzzin' Buck likes this.

Member #
    Any blank is refurbish able but I think I would hang that puppy up somewhere and let it keep its history. It is doable, you can learn everything you need on YouTube, it's not that hard
    Cuzzin' Buck likes this.
    You see the size of that GOSH DARN chicken?

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Looks like it could use some updating, I watch a TV show called, Hunt for Big Fish, the host tipped me off to this website, Rod Building Components, Supplies and Tools | mudhole.com, which has some great ideas and parts for redoing a rod
    Cuzzin' Buck likes this.

Member #
    Mud hole.com is awesome!
    You see the size of that GOSH DARN chicken?

Member #
    I have been building for a good while. A refurbished job is quite a bit more work then a new build.
    That said with out sentimental value or some type of higjly desireable blank i say it is not worth the effort. Blank technology has evolved leaps anf bounds since the days that blank was crafted.

If you do choose to do a makeover I will gladly answer any questions that you have.
    Cuzzin' Buck likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mikejd View Post
    I have been building for a good while. A refurbished job is quite a bit more work then a new build.
    That said with out sentimental value or some type of higjly desireable blank i say it is not worth the effort. Blank technology has evolved leaps anf bounds since the days that blank was crafted.

If you do choose to do a makeover I will gladly answer any questions that you have.
    Thank you!

Sponsors