Barrel length and contour for a 6.5 cm build
    Member #

Barrel length and contour for a 6.5 cm build

I am building my first bolt action rifle. I will use it to learn how to shoot accurately out to 1,000 yards. Targets only no hunting. I have a donor R700 short action, B&C M40 stock. I want to buy a Bartlein barrel. The question is what barrel length and contour. I am leaning toward a 6.5mm 8 twist SS M24 27" with 5R rifling which I believe after the gunsmith gets done will end up being 26 inch. With no actual experience I am wondering if I should go to a heavy Palma which will result in a 30 inch barrel. Any thoughts? I am really enjoying the build process.

Member #
    lots to consider. I shoot an Eliseo Tube gun with a R700 clone action by Bordon and an 8 twist kreiger medium Palma barrel of 29" in 260 Remington from the sling. It shoots much better than I do at both 600 and 1000 yds. If you can keep the barrel length near 30" you will still be able to keep the projectiles supersonic at 1000 yds (this is really critical). You have to keep the projectiles moving at about mach 1.2 at 1000 to maintain stability. A longer tube will allow you to keep your loads moderate thus saving wear on you and the rifle. Anything less than 28" is going to handicap you as the loss in velocity can make bullet selection a serious issue. Make sure your smith understands the needs of a long range shooter as a R700 action, while a good start, really needs some tweaking to perform well at 1000. Caliber selection can be an major issue. The 6.5/284 while a great long range caliber, has a limited barrel life. The 6.5 Creedmoore , the 6.5x 47 Lapua andthe 260 Rem all will perform similarly. I chose the 260 because of the easy availability of Lapua brass and additional available data.

Check out this forum and don't be afraid to ask questions. They are a great bunch of guys with tons of Long Range experience:

Sign In - Long-Range Target Shooting
    Once, I was a very young Marine, Long long ago!

Member #
    It shoots much better than I do at both 600 and 1000 yds. If you can keep the barrel length near 30" you will still be able to keep the projectiles supersonic at 1000 yds (this is really critical). You have to keep the projectiles moving at about mach 1.2 at 1000 to maintain stability. A longer tube will allow you to keep your loads moderate thus saving wear on you and the rifle. Anything less than 28" is going to handicap you as the loss in velocity can make bullet selection a serious issue. Make sure your smith understands the needs of a long range shooter as a R700 action, while a good start, really needs some tweaking to perform well at 1000. Caliber selection can be an major issue. The 6.5/284 while a great long range caliber, has a limited barrel life. The 6.5 Creedmoore , the 6.5x 47 Lapua andthe 260 Rem all will perform similarly. I chose the 260 because of the easy availability of Lapua brass and additional available data.

Check out this forum and don't be afraid to ask questions. They are a great bunch of guys with tons of Long Range experience:
    Probably some of the best info/advice given on here Only thing I'll add is a #3 contour minimum

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Tag for tomorrow

F Class Shooter.

Sponsors