Cable/internet service - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Cable/internet service

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlouis View Post
    Dude, a NSFW warning woulda helped
    really? sorry, didnt think people would try that, especially with big brother everywhere....

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by duckhunt02 View Post
    Sorry I had just called 800# and signed up ..although in my area its direct TV and then FiOS for internet
    or......be the IT guy with separate cable piped in your office.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    FIOS Internet, Phone, TV $89.00 a month
    You have basic cable? That's an awesome price if you get a bunch of channels

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    I am paying FIOS $190/mo for their Ultimate HD package (I think that is waht they call it, it's one step down from the fully loaded package) including $45/mo for 5 cable boxes. paying for those cable boxes has always pissed me off, since I sure as hell don't want them. When they dropped the 2 hunting channels recently, i did some research & have started making my move to internet only & streaming. I don't own a smart TV & learned you don't need one. You can either get a Roku box which turns any TV into a smart tv or use/buy a Blue ray player, almost all of which now have streaming capability built in. I started streaming with my old Blue ray & then bought another one at Costco for $70 bucks. i now have 2 of my 5 TV's streaming using Hulu (netflixor amazon prime are alternatives). Since I'd like to get some local channels & sports, I just ordered an HD antenna for my roof which I will hook up to my existing house Coax cable to get that free on all TV's. I already sent 3 cable boxes back ($25/mo saved offset by my Hulu with Showtime subscription which is around $17/mo) & once I get my HD antenna installed, I'm cancelling cable entirely. The money I save on box rental alone every 2 months will pay for either a Roku or streaming BR player for my other TV's. 50/50 internet is $60/mo & I figure I will save about $90/month once all is done. If you are thinking about cancelling cable entirely, i suggest you do it in phases so you don't piss of the wife or yourself. Get a Roku or BR player & a subscription to get used to streaming. Then figure out if you need a set top or attic/roof HD antenna for local channels & sports. Set top antennas are easy & cheap but have less range & only handle 1 TV. if you live 30 miles or less from the broadcast antenna, they will work. If you live between 30 & 60 miles away, you'll need attic/roof HD antenna, which can feed several TV's if you split the signal. Go to Crutchfield site & there is an excellent article on choosing the correct HD antenna. TVFool.com will tell you how far you are from the various broadcast antenenas, & will give you a free predictive model of your reception if you enter address & antenna height. Free HD signals can be clearer than cable if you set it up right.

Member #
    fios is like $140 for crappy channels a phone you never use and not the greatest speed internet. thats with only 2 boxes. im going back to using my cell phone for internet and FREE digital TV. all i need is ME tv anyway. its got the good old time shows and Svengoolie saturday nites.at this stage of the game i dont understand why its not more than 99$ for everything.

Member #
    I just got FIOS internet 50/50 only today. I had Verizon DSL. Came from looking forward to a much faster internet and I kid you not that THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE WHATSOEVER than DSL. Same exact speed surfing the web. Had I not run into him on the way out to work I would have though the tech was a no show. No joke. We'll what the streaming is like with Netflix.
    Treat fellow hunters the way you would like to be treated.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadhead View Post
    I just got FIOS internet 50/50 only today. I had Verizon DSL. Came from looking forward to a much faster internet and I kid you not that THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE WHATSOEVER than DSL. Same exact speed surfing the web. Had I not run into him on the way out to work I would have though the tech was a no show. No joke. We'll what the streaming is like with Netflix.
    Impossible. I've been doing telecom 26 yrs, 22 for big V, DSL can never get that high in speed. Fios is gaurentee to router at the speed you pay for. Call back , tech will come out with laptop , plug right into router to verify. Now wireless , diff story. The farther you are from the router the weaker the singsl. Example is my house, router in basement, I have great wifi down there 50/50 all day, however go to upstairs bedroom signal drops in half. It's wireless no company will gaurentee same signal throughout the house.
    Another question is it possible your computer prosser it outdated, being you get same results on both DSL and fiber fios, two totally diff technologies. Feel free to pm me, maybe I can help out

Member #
    Hey DB, after posting I actually did go downstairs and connected directly using to the router with a network cable but still not better. I checked with my wife who was just on her iPad and she said no difference. Tomorrow my daughter will try with Netflix. I have an HP laptop with an i5 processor and 8gm of ram. I'm stunned. The Verizon technician definitely sounded like he knew what he was talking about. Something has to be wrong, I will give him a call as he left his number. He explained of a lot of variables with wireless but I'm getting 4 of 5 bars. We'll see, something has to be up. Wish I had been home when he finished.
    Treat fellow hunters the way you would like to be treated.

Member #
    My advice is to try a new Internet provider. I had a situation. I was in College then, studying for my exams. I wrote my work for a long time and reworked it many times. As a result, when I wanted to print it out, I found neither copies nor the original on my computer. And many other folders were also missing. I realized that I had caused damage to my computer by constantly restarting it due to the lack of Internet. Now I have changed my provider to save to usave, and my computer is just flying!!! I recommend it to you.
    Last edited by FussyEater; 07-01-2020 at 02:28 PM.

Member #
    $20 a month
    Last edited by bertha; 06-24-2020 at 01:12 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsors