Question about bait
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Question about bait

Member #

Question about bait

Does anyone on here believe deer can be taken by skill alone ? I mean what do the baiters do when they go out of state? Can they set themselves up? What do you look for? What would happen if it became illegal? What would you do? Do you honestly believe you're learning or would be successful without it? If so why spend the time and money ? I'm not knocking anyone. I don't bait but why does everyone think it the answer to everything and if your main technique or only technique doesn't that bother you?
    I've spoken to baiters that have seen a scrape or two, know little about natural foods, didn't know why deer do lots if things they do. Do you believe it's better your skill and make you more successful or is it just about numbers?

Member #
    Here we go again. Bait is a tool. Yea I have some stands I bait but I also have stands in pinch points funnels rub linesetc. What most people don't get it's baiting not feeding. I put about 20 lbs out at a clip. My one feeder spins for 3 secs that's it. If I want a doe I hunt right over corn. But this time off year I'm about 70 yrds from the corn for a buck. To each his own it's legal do don't worry what others do and hunt. Good luck
    Stan Putz likes this.

Member #
    It's also cheaper than buying a cam, sure you don't see exactly what, or when, but you know deer are still moving through from a distance at least.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    I never baited until I started the kids hunting. There was pressure to get them action. My favorite hunting is the rut period on a pinch point or travel route.
    REALTREE83 and jglmuz like this.

Member #
    Geeeeez, again......I hate bait more than anyone but still....STFU and go hunt.....
    rdfhunter, 2Barrel, bill43 and 9 others like this.

Member #
    Different strokes for different folks. It's legal. If that's what someone chooses to do good for them if not good for them. I have nothing against baiting however I do believe it is very important to learn how to hunt without it to start. The kid I'm mentoring spent the summer with me scouting , learning why there doing this, what made them do thst, bedding, transition areas, funnels, pinch points etc. If he wants to bait after he takes his first that's his choice but to start out I believe you should learn woodsmanship. Just my 2 cents.
    You can do a lot more for the environment by carrying a rifle then carrying a sign.

[B]Don't Spread My Wealth, Spread My Work Ethic

Member #
    I'll save some of them some time and give the common excuses... I don't have much time to hunt. (But have plenty of time to bait), I like to watch deer in their natural state( how is it natural to watch deer at a bait pile? It's more like I get bored very easily and need a lollipop), it gives me time to make a ethical shot(didn't know you needed ten min to make a good shot, I can't hold my bow back that long, can you?.. Oh crossbows),it helps me pattern deer (oh ok), I just use it to see what bucks are around then I stop(what good did it do you then?) my all time favorite... It's legal so why not?

I was just watching north woods law and them Maine game wardens say its unethical and un sportsmanlike. Not where it's legal though right? Perfectly ethical and sportsmanlike... Go figure!

for the record I'm not against it completely but don't think it should be allowed on public land
    Jason1 and SlickHunter like this.

Member #
    Do you still need a stand riding your high horse?
    2Barrel and Assumpink Hunter like this.
    The act of killing is visceral .......

Member #
    Well I still didn't hear the answers. I'll ignore the moron talking about the high horse. Look guys I'm just wondering things like how you go about hunting out of state. Do you believe bait handicaps you? Or your ability to grow and learn? Also how many guys would never think about baiting ducks or turks bait deer? Why do you feel the difference. I understand drawing them between houses in heavily populated areas or taking kids, handicapped etc out but what about the rest?

Member #
    Does anyone on here believe deer can be taken by skill alone?
    Skill is relative. Can't we say the same thing about the weapons we choose to use? Can anyone that uses a shotgun be able to take a deer with a crossbow? Can anyone who hunts with a crossbow take a deer with a compound? Can anyone that uses a compound take a deer with a longbow? Can anyone hunting with a bow take a deer with a spear or a knife? At what point does the use of a particular tool of the trade become not skillful or unethical?

I can picture an old Native American going, "ppfftt... using a firestick? How is that fair? There's no skill at all shooting an animal from 100 yards out! Try to look a buffalo in its eyes while you shove a spear in it! THAT'S SKILL!"

This commercial kinda makes the same point, but from the perspective of playing golf

Just-John, Lou and dlist777 like this.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Sponsors