New Jersey Hunters banner

Walking on deer trails.

1K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  Cheese 
#1 ·
I avoid walking on them. As tempting as it may be to follow step for step to see where the deer are going, I'm concerned about leaving my scent there.

Sometimes the trail is the easiest way in and out of some areas.

If possible I'll walk 8-10 feet to the side depending on how thick the brush is.

#5 ·
The only access I have to my current stand is to crawl in through some thick stuff on a deer trail. I definitely don't recommend that because as Stronski said...I think it leaves a scent. Ever since I have been crawling in on that trail I haven't found any fresh tracks on it. Fortunately deer have been coming from the other side of my area, and what used to be a deer trail that I crawled in on is now just an access trail for the me. :D

#6 ·
I spray my boots down heavily with fox urine. The deer come in right along the same trail. It doesn't seem to bother them.

#7 ·
Good ideas. I've used the fox urine in the past.

#14 ·
I've shot substantially more deer since i started wearing rubber boots. In the winter i'll wear hip boots almost all the time
I like rubber boots for Bow. The only problem is that the rubber does not breath creating lots of moisture. Then my feet get cold. Different socks help. I have used hip boots or firemans boots to retrieve deer in a swamp. Take one step sink to your waist.[mad]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.