Any free Iphone GPS apps?
    Member #
    Im heading out to South Dakota tomorrow for the archery antelope opener. I was going thru my stuff and my older garmin gps is dead. Anyone know a good free ap for the iphone? I dont need a gps for driving and roads. Looking for a gps so I dont get lost in the middle of know where
    Economic disaster begins with a philosophy of doing less and wanting more. All values must be won by contest, and after they have been won, they must be defended.

Member #
    http://www.mapmyride.com/imapmy/

just be aware that GPS on a iphone will chew up the battery considerably. I would not walk around with it on. I suggest bringing a map, compass, and iphone. Use the iphone to get a bearing and plot it out using your map and compass. Then its just a matter of following a point in the distance and pickin up shoes
    United we stand, Divided we fall.

Member #
    IMO. Best thing you could is use Pocket Ranger for south dakota. It has info on the state parks as well as a GPS function which allows you to cache maps. Some of the GPS apps, like MapMyRIde (or the associated MapMyHike) or PDmaps update the map constantly through the cell service which a)sucks down battery like crazy b)if your deep into a park, you may not have cell service and therefor no MAP (just a blue dot on a blank screen). The cache tool defaults to a park you select, but you can modify the selection area to cache what you want.

I use MapMyRide for many of my shorter bike rides 30-45 miles. But yesterday I tried to see how long it would go on the Ramapo Rally (100miles), well it only lasted about 3 hours before my battery was nearly toast at which point i turned off the whole unit in case I needed to use the phone for an emergency (and ended up taking a wrong turn so my 100 miles became 108miles).

I realize that you have already left on your journey, but hopefully this helps in the future. Here is the link to Pocket ranger for South Dakota

http://pocketranger.com/apps/sd/apps.php

BTW.. there are pocket ranger apps for many states including NJ!

there may be better apps out there, but this looks like what you need. However, the iphone battery does tend to run down fast with normal use, so I wouldn't necessarily rely heavily on any iphone app. But with propoer power management of your phone, it should do the trick for backup/ light use situations

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Don't know if it's free but me and my hunting group all use Motion X GPS. This app has everything you need for hunting.

Highly recommended.

Member #
    I was using that one tonight . I have both motion x ( hiking style gps) and motion x drive (for turn by turn)
    United we stand, Divided we fall.

Member #
    I promise you will not be disappointed using WAZE. I totally recommend any and all people to use it.

Member #
    I promise you will not be disappointed using WAZE. I totally recommend any and all people to use it.

Sponsors