High Point a bust for me
    Member #
    Well this year I decided to give High Point a try. I got the permits and was all set to go last week for the opener, but responsibilies suck. I had too much to do in prep for the baby to come and a shower at the house on Saturday. So I decided to go today. As of last night I already half heartedly wanted to go because deer hunting alone is boring to me. I like hunting with others, hense why I like bird hunting better that deer. But anyway, I got up there about 1230. I park in a spot along Deckertown TPK and hear a low whoop, whoop from a siren as I am loading my muzzy. It's a Park Ranger. I put my rifle down and walk over to the Ranger. He says, "You can't hunt here." He asked if I had a map and I told him that I left it at home, but remember that the state land is interrupted by private and then goes back to state. It was my plan to hunt those sections and had driven past the private property and pulled off the road. He understood that and pointed out to me that even through the side of the road is marked to state signs, it is still private property. I thanked him as it was my fear that I would end up in a closed area and get in trouble. He said, " I saw you getting ready and wanted to catch you before you got into the woods." He told me to just head down the road and that I would be fine. So I pack up and head down the road. I look into the woods and 150 yards in I see the posted signs. Granted they are brown and yellow and blended in, but none the less, they are there. I pulled off in another spot with no cars and get ready again. Then I hear a vehicle pull up. Park Ranger again. I thought, "am I in another bad spot?" I walked up and it is a different ranger. He asked if I had any luck which I replied that I just got there and told him about my other interaction with the other ranger. he checked my license and tag and told me good luck. he also gave me some pointers about the area. So both rangers were very nice.

I headed into the woods and found a nice big tree that had fallen over with covered me well and I sat for about 2 hours. Then I see orange. No big deal, he'll keep going. Then he stops and sits directly in my line of fire about 300 yards away. I thought 1) I won't see any deer coming up that way and 2) very unsafe to shoot in that direction. So I decided to move.

I got to another fallen tree with good cover and sat again for a while. Then I realized I didn't have a flash light and it was my first time hunting High Point, so I decided to hunt back to my truck so I wouldn't get lost. On the way back I spot a guy 20 feet up in a tree in full camo and no orange. Now catch me if I am wrong, but High Point is only open to muzzleloaders and orange is still required right?

So I get back to my truck and unload my gear and head home. I wanted to get my camera out of my backpack which was in the back in case I see anything I would want to get pictures of and pulled off to get it. As soon as I pull off I see this bear run off. It was 20 feet from my truck on the other side of some brush. It was maybe 125 pounds. Not too big. It was out of sight by time I got the camera. Oh well.

If I decide to do it next year, I will definitely scout. My game plan for this year would have probably worked for opening day, but not much passed it.
    It isn't the catch or the kill that makes for a great outdoor experience but enjoying all that God has created for us.

Member #
    Now catch me if I am wrong, but High Point is only open to muzzleloaders and orange is still required right?
    Yes

Was the guy you saw bow hunting or using a muzzleloader?
    "I have long taught that if you can't do it with a 30-06, you probably can't do it."

Col. Jeff Cooper

Member #
    Was the guy you saw bow hunting or using a muzzleloader?
    I saw him in the stand and walked the other way. I didn't see what he was using.
    It isn't the catch or the kill that makes for a great outdoor experience but enjoying all that God has created for us.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    If I decide to do it next year, I will definitely scout.
    You are at a severe disadvantage if you don't scout. That park is very big and the deer have plenty of places to escape the pressure. I don't hunt the park from the South side where you were. I can tell you it will make your hunting the park so much more successful if you spend some time scouting before next years hunt. There are some very good bucks in that park, so it is well worth the effort.

Don't get discouraged.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." Samual Adams

Proud Member of NRA, ANJRPC, B.A.S.S., Muskie Inc., NO Staff; The White Oaks Hunting Club

Member #
    Don't get discouraged.
    I'm not discouraged. I just thought that I might have a little more time than I did.

Member #
    high points not open to bow hunting muzzy only

Sponsors