Newbie here
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Newbie here

Member #

Newbie here

Feel pretty lucky in finding this forum, from the posts I've read seems like a good crowd on here.
    Well, here's my problem. Never hunted a day in my life. Always wanted to, just never had anyone to show me the ropes. No hunters in my circle and guys at work mostly hunt private land and from what it sounds like they just set up at the edge of farmers fields and blast away as they come to feed. Finally decided to step out on my own bow hunting. Trying to get my license (all the testing dates have been full), but if I don't get it by this season, I still would like to learn to scout for future reference, maybe hit winter bow season if I can get it by then... this is by no means anything I'm looking to rush.

I live in Winslow right off Blue Anchor Rd., WMA is directly across the street from me, Zone 65. Does anyone hunt this area? I know the bulk of the WMA is south of the expressway, I live on the North side which is a much smaller tract of land. I've seen numerous deer tracks along trails and roadways (I'm back there often running/hiking etc.) and walked up on a few the other day not far from one of the main trails. If there's anyone from the area looking to mentor a newbie I'm all about it. I guess Im really just looking for someone to teach basic scouting and what to look for. I can only learn so much from youtube and google. Had a friend of the family willing to take me out, but he lives quite a distance away, works like mad and I know what time he has in his woods are precious to him. Was hoping I could meet someone local and familiar with this area.
    Thanks!

Member #
    Very nice way of asking. I live way North so can't help you. I am sure someone from this site lives down your way and can give you a hand. Welcome to the site.

Member #
    zone 65 is kinda hard to hunt--i hunted it about 10 times an seen 3 deer total but that was when i didnt know much...gun season people come out the woodwork and big gun clubs... bow season if you do some work and stay away from other hunters you can get some meat.. and as far as getting your hunting licence goes most places take afew walk ins

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Fill out the Hunter Education booklet and whatever else is required and just show up at the course. They will let you in.

Member #
    Welcome aboard! Everything you will ever need to know in life is right here. Most of it you will want to forget but there is some good mixed in.
    REALTREE83 and smoking gun like this.
    You see the size of that GOSH DARN chicken?

Member #
    Like the others said, you can always walk in to a test even if it's full. Just have your work book completed and you'll leave with a hand written stub from the Division that you passed your hunter safety test and for which weapon(s). You'll be out this fall! Sorry, but I live way up north. I'm sure someone here will take you under their wing and help show you the ropes. Best of luck this season!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Meat Head View Post
    Trying to get my license (all the testing dates have been full),
    What others said - ignore what the DFW website says about a class being full and closed. I know someone that walked on the hunter's ed class this past Sunday without signing up - he made the decision to want to go last week. Picked up the workbook and DVD on Wednesday, filled it out, and by this past Sunday afternoon had his license after taking the tests in the morning. No need to register and if its full, they will still take you.

Member #
    Thanks for the info. My heads been spinning lately trying to absorb so much info. I even went into the wma office to get some help and left a bit more confused than I had arrived. Got the workbook, DVD and digest though. I'll keep moving forward. If anyone has any suggested reading on scouting I'd love to know. Thanks again.

Member #
    Be careful once you bow hunt, it's an addiction, you will just want to keep bow hunting! Good Luck!
    archunter and themrdmack like this.

Member #
    find acorns alot in 65 or throw out some bait apples and corn work great to keep deer around your stand..but hunting public land you want to be as far away as the other hunters you can get!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsors