Newbie here - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Newbie here

Member #
    Like everybody says, you can just show up for the test. Just make sure you bring your own bow or crossbow since they do not provide one.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Meat Head View Post
    Thanks for the info. My heads been spinning lately trying to absorb so much info. I even went into the wma office to get some help and left a bit more confused than I had arrived. Got the workbook, DVD and digest though. I'll keep moving forward. If anyone has any suggested reading on scouting I'd love to know. Thanks again.
    I just started a little over a year ago myself. Far be it from me to tell you what to do. But, definitely read that hunter's digest from cover to cover, when you are done, read it again . Tells you all about the "rules of the road".

The hunter's ed course is simple - don't sweat that. Read the booklet, watch the DVD, fill out the booklet. You do that, you'll be fine. If you want to do "extra credit", download and take those practice tests on the DFW website at NJDEP Division of Fish & Wildlife - Hunter Education Practice Exams - that will give you confidence that you know what you are doing when you take the written test. The tests are a breeze. Nothing to it. The field test is nothing but you shooting a few rounds through a rifle and shotgun (you don't even have to hit anything Show them you know how to handle the gun safely - I think that is the most important thing - e.g. finger off the trigger until ready to shoot, muzzle downrange always. The bow test requires you take time and practice beforehand because you need a bow fitted and sighted for you so you can hit the target 3 out of 5 times - so that takes the most time out of any of this.

As for scouting, I dunno On private land I have access to, I set up trail cams where I think they were and was surprised at how much deer traffic there was. So cameras can work well. I walk the woods and look for deer trails too. I also found the best time is when there is snow on the ground - I found where I was setting up last year on public land was great because I saw tracks coming from every which way in the snow. I never realized how much traffic there was until I saw the prints in the snow. Of course, they were all noctural, so I never did see them, but I'm going back in the fall, hopefully the pattern is the same. But that's about all I can tell you about scouting, I really have no idea what the [email protected]@l I'm doing But I like just being in the woods, so I figure I'll learn on the job so to speak.

Member #
    Thanks for the pointers everyone. Guess I'll just need to get out there this fall and learn on the job as well. At the very least I'm looking forward to the peace and quiet away from the wife and 3 kids a couple days a week, even if I come home with an empty bag, LOL.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    ^^^^along that note, the best advice I ever got was don't ever "expect" to come home successful; just getting out to hunt is success in itself!
    NAVHDA Del-Val
    Pheasants Forever
    TU
    UBNJ

"While even the ethical hunter may never enjoy the full approval of the non-hunting public, the public may at least tolerate them. And as public awareness of the hunter's significant role in conservation increases, anti-hunting sentiment may recede.

Member #
    ok i pm'ed you as i believe so far im not that far from you and can pass on what wisdom i have from my fails and successes.
    UBNJ Member
    Bowtech Carbon Knight
    Compound Cowboy

Member #
    Zone 65 -- especially, the Winslow WMA is a bear to hunt, but if you can get in early (first week or so of October), and before pheasant season starts, you can snag a buck on the move. Being that you are new, I might recommend that you forgo that zone and look at 23 or 19 (Atco area). There are a lot of deer over in the Wharton and the areas are a little more open which will lend to a better shot and perhaps an easier track. Of course, this is all predicated on the fact that you get your license before the season starts. In any event, if the Winslow WMA is your place of choice, get out there now and keep your eyes and ears open. Good luck.

Member #
    I used to hunt on that side of 65. I now hunt on the other side of the expressway. I took quite a few deer out of your side. I suggest going down the dirt road that goes straight behind the office, past the parking area for the lake. Bow season is good in this area. There are a quite a few areas of laurel on both sides of the road. There are a few walking trails that you could walk down. You can't miss the sign all over the place. I wish I could help more, I don't get that much time myself and I'm breaking my son in now too.

Member #
    Feel pretty lucky in finding this forum, from the posts I've read seems like a good crowd on here.
    Well, here's my problem. Never hunted a day in my life. Always wanted to, just never had anyone to show me the ropes. No hunters in my circle and guys at work mostly hunt private land and from what it sounds like they just set up at the edge of farmers fields and blast away as they come to feed. Finally decided to step out on my own bow hunting. Trying to get my license (all the testing dates have been full), but if I don't get it by this season, I still would like to learn to scout for future reference, maybe hit winter bow season if I can get it by then... this is by no means anything I'm looking to rush.

I live in Winslow right off Blue Anchor Rd., WMA is directly across the street from me, Zone 65. Does anyone hunt this area? I know the bulk of the WMA is south of the expressway, I live on the North side which is a much smaller tract of land. I've seen numerous deer tracks along trails and roadways (I'm back there often running/hiking etc.) and walked up on a few the other day not far from one of the main trails. If there's anyone from the area looking to mentor a newbie I'm all about it. I guess Im really just looking for someone to teach basic scouting and what to look for. I can only learn so much from youtube and google. Had a friend of the family must be metwilling to take me out, but he lives quite a distance away, works like mad and I know what time he has in his woods are precious to him. Was hoping I could meet someone local and familiar with this area.
    Thanks!
    What everyone said was correct as far as taking the course. Bear in mind for archery there is a profile by test. It is fairly easy n no instructor wants to fail anyone but there are requirements that must be met.
    3 out of 5 arrows in a deer's vitals at typically 15 yards with bows, 20 with crossbow .
    You must have your own equiptment and 5 matched arrows.
    Also be sure your strings, cables, limbs, etc are in good shape.
    You will not be allowed to shoot with unsafe equiptment.
    Check for e clips! They often come off and that is definitely an unsafe condition.
    I'm also up north or I'd help more

Member #
    Feel pretty lucky in finding this forum, from the posts I've read seems like a good crowd on here.
    Well, here's my problem. Never hunted a day in my life. Always wanted to, just never had anyone to show me the ropes. No hunters in my circle and guys at work mostly hunt private land and from what it sounds like they just set up at the edge of farmers fields and blast away as they come to feed. Finally decided to step out on my own bow hunting. Trying to get my license (all the testing dates have been full), but if I don't get it by this season, I still would like to learn to scout for future reference, maybe hit winter bow season if I can get it by then... this is by no means anything I'm looking to rush.

I live in Winslow right off Blue Anchor Rd., WMA is directly across the street from me, Zone 65. Does anyone hunt this area? I know the bulk of the WMA is south of the expressway, I live on the North side which is a much smaller tract of land. I've seen numerous deer tracks along trails and roadways (I'm back there often running/hiking etc.) and walked up on a few the other day not far from one of the main trails. If there's anyone from the area looking to mentor a newbie I'm all about it. I guess Im really just looking for someone to teach basic scouting and what to look for. I can only learn so much from youtube and google. Had a friend of the family must be metwilling to take me out, but he lives quite a distance away, works like mad and I know what time he has in his woods are precious to him. Was hoping I could meet someone local and familiar with this area.
    Thanks!
    What everyone said was correct as far as taking the course. Bear in mind for archery there is a profile by test. It is fairly easy n no instructor wants to fail anyone but there are requirements that must be met.
    3 out of 5 arrows in a deer's vitals at typically 15 yards with bows, 20 with crossbow .
    You must have your own equiptment and 5 matched arrows.
    Also be sure your strings, cables, limbs, etc are in good shape.
    You will not be allowed to shoot with unsafe equiptment.
    Check for e clips! They often come off and that is definitely an unsafe condition.
    I'm also up north or I'd help more. Excuse me I meant profiency test

Member #
    Welcome to site Good Luck getting your license hunt smart and safe.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsors