New Jersey Hunters banner

Morning or Evening Hunting... What's your preference?

3K views 22 replies 22 participants last post by  jerseyboy32 
#1 ·
What's your preference to hunting Zone 3 in the am or pm? Does anyone here have any midday luck hunting in Zone 3?

#6 ·
I prefer to hunt whenever i can get out there. mornings, evenings, whatever... [hihi]

#7 ·
I prefer mornings and they've also proved more successful, for myself and a lot of my friends. Now, I actually hunt more afternoons, BY FAR (just how my schedule works out) even though I prefer mornings and I've still killed more and better bucks in the AM.

During the pre-rut/rut, morning is the time to be out. But bucks are on their feet all night, then, will check does trails followed by doe bedding after the does have out in for the day. This seems to be the most productive mature buck hunting time for many, including what I see on my videos.

Afternoons during rut are good as wel, but, they in no way compare to the movement a cold, frosty November morning will return.

If I could hunt only AM or PM during the rut, its AM for me.

Each property and each deer is different. My totally unpressured properties, I see different movement than my properties that are in high pressure areas. I actually, on my extremely large properties, see different movement in the secluded areas of the land than I do on the fringes.

Again, its all about WHERE and what time of the year you are hunting.

Just like countless guys post on here that a buck is 100% nocturnal because hes only getting photos of him over his gigantic bait site at night. that buck may be on.his feet all day long, who knows, and its just that he doesn't get to your bait until after dark, for whatever reason.

So, while i prefer mornings, the location and the deer I'm hunting will dictate when I go

#9 ·
I prefer mornings and seem to shoot more bucks in the a.m., however, I shot my biggest buck at noon in 1982.

#17 ·
I've always hunted dark to dark when it's possible. I'll tell you that I've seen more deer activity in the am, BUT, more BUCKS in the pm. Mid day sucks from about 11-2. It's always the part of the day I find myself dozing off only to wake up hearing gunshots. But, that is when ppl are up and moving around coming in and out for lunch. Kicking deer around to guys still sitting in stands. That's why I stick it out hopefully that happens for me this year

#19 ·
Thanks for all of your feedback. I am struggling to see deer during winter bow. I'm in good spots around 6 am and see nothing through 10 am. The spots that I hunt are time tested spots that my hunting mentors have shown me. Plenty of tracks and droppings. It has been blistery cold this January on Saturday mornings. This current stretch is making the last weekend of bow look bleak.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.