Any one planning to go Pheasant hunting at Black River WMA this year?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Any one planning to go Pheasant hunting at Black River WMA this year?

Member #
    Is anyone planning top go pheasant hunting this year at the Black River WMA? I have been deer hunting for a few years now but have never been pheasant hunting and would like to try it. I was thing about going to the Black River WMA this year because I was reading that it is stocked. Does anyone have any insight about this WMA during pheasant season?

Member #
    Yes it's a mad house. If you do go I'd hunt the feilds and lots on Pleasnthill Rd. more property and gets more birds than North rd/513. I gave up pheasant hunting about 2 years ago, I may start up again someday.

Member #
    Like jerseyhunter said, Black River is an absolute MAD HOUSE once the pheasant stocking starts. The Pleasant Hill Rd parking lot gives you access to more acreage, but a majority of the birds are stocked out of the Ironia-Mendham Rd parking lot (which is also the Dog Training Area). What kind of bird dog you got rray12288?
    For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack. - Kipling

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Wear kevlar, see you there

Member #
    I hunted pheasant in Black River going back 10 years ago and it seems not much has changed. At 8AM start on Saturdays, it is a madhouse. Makes Garden State Parkway traffic look lke nothing!!

What worked for me was to head to Hacklebarney in the morning to do my bow hunting, grab lunch, then head over to Black River in the afternoon on Saturdays. A lot less hunters. I'd hunt from 2-4PM...as the season goes along you will find yourself almost alone while hunting there in the afternoon. Plus, pheasants come out of hiding that time of day too. Also, see if you can get out there during the week to avoid the Saturday morning mess.

Above everything else, be safe and know where the other hunters are because it can get crazy in there!!
    Average 9-1-1 response time = 4 minutes
    Average .357 response time = 1400 FPS
    Enough said!

Member #
    I would never hunt Opening Day here. It's an absolute madhouse and will test your patience as a compassionate human being. I would go late in the afternoon on Saturday's (you'll still see birds) or on weekdays if you can swing it. When fellas are sitting in the parking lots at 6:00AM waiting you know something is up.
    If only Jack O'Connor had written about the .270's effectiveness on Zombies, he might be known today as a decent gun scribe, and that cartridge might enjoy more widespread use...

Member #
    Anyone success without a dog?
    Men fight for freedom, then they begin to accumulate laws to take it away from themselves... freedom is NEVER free, freedom has its life in the hearts, the actions, the spirit of men and so it must be daily earned and refreshed -- President D. D. Eisenhower

Member #
    Anyone success without a dog?
    I've seen people without dogs bag a few birds (with some shooting them on the ground or out of a tree ). The CO's write a few tickets each year for people who shoot a bird in a tree from the parking lot. Most of the guys without dogs get their birds right at shooting time. Birds will be kicked up, missed and then fly past people who all take a shot at it. Last guy who shoots before it crumples takes the bird home I try to steer clear of EVERYONE. Too many guys willing to put safety aside just to bag a pheasant. Also see a lot of guys who just follow people with dogs around hoping to get a shot on any birds that the dogs kick up
    For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack. - Kipling

Member #
    I don't use a dog and get plenty of birds flushing. Always have always will just push the thick stuff and watch out for the other guys and change direction frequently as a survival technique.

Member #
    I may try without a dog in Port Republic....afternoon only!
    Men fight for freedom, then they begin to accumulate laws to take it away from themselves... freedom is NEVER free, freedom has its life in the hearts, the actions, the spirit of men and so it must be daily earned and refreshed -- President D. D. Eisenhower

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsors