Looking for a new WMA for Pheasant - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Looking for a new WMA for Pheasant

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ithaca10 View Post
    Flatbrook great cover nice fields, hedgerows and swamps. Haven't hunted Clinton this year but prior years my son and i have never had a problem killling a two man bird limit and that's without dogs.
    How is the cover in Flatbrook? Clinton is full of rose bushes and the dogs get torn up pretty bad.

Crowded?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ant2004sti View Post
    Currently I hunt pheasant in Clinton and 2017 has been terrible. Too many people, not enough birds. 4 hour hunts only seeing one bird if I'm lucky (with a dog). Clinton seems to get cleaned out after the first shooting line wave, I'm not into risking my life or the dogs so I will usually head out an hour after sunrise. Thinking about trying out a few of the of the other WMAs. Anyone have any experience with Black River, or DWG south and how are they in comparison to Clinton? Just want to get some opinions before I make the trip up there. Thanks!
    I too have been considering checking out a new WMA. I hunt Clinton exclusively because I live 15 minutes away, but you are right most of the shooting takes place in the first 15-30 minutes. I stay away from the crowd for the safety of my two dogs and me, but it definitely means seeing fewer birds.

I have tried Black River and Whittingham and didn't find them to be much better, but that's just my opinion

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird-dog 1 View Post
    How is the cover in Flatbrook? Clinton is full of rose bushes and the dogs get torn up pretty bad.

Crowded?
    They are all crowded you just have to be aware of your surroundings. I've hunted Flatbrook for over 50 years to me it's like a private club. Nice fields, swamps, hedgerows with olive trees just down road from the Layton General Store.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird-dog 1 View Post

Crowded?
    The areas we hunt don't have those rose bushes you speak of like i said haven't hunted it this year but my son and i had no problem killing birds without dogs.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ithaca10 View Post
    They are all crowded you just have to be aware of your surroundings. I've hunted Flatbrook for over 50 years to me it's like a private club. Nice fields, swamps, hedgerows with olive trees just down road from the Layton General Store.
    Thank you for the information. I'm going to check it out.

Safe hunting.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ant2004sti View Post
    Currently I hunt pheasant in Clinton and 2017 has been terrible. Too many people, not enough birds. 4 hour hunts only seeing one bird if I'm lucky (with a dog). Clinton seems to get cleaned out after the first shooting line wave, I'm not into risking my life or the dogs so I will usually head out an hour after sunrise. Thinking about trying out a few of the of the other WMAs. Anyone have any experience with Black River, or DWG south and how are they in comparison to Clinton? Just want to get some opinions before I make the trip up there. Thanks!
    10,000 less birds this year

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Where exactly is Flatbrook WMA ? Coming from Vernon, thank you

gh

Member #
    I've been hunting Clinton for about 7 years. The last two years have been terrible by all accounts of myself and every hunter I ran in to there. I went Saturday 12/1/18 and counted 16 shots on birds in the first hour and a half from dawn (quick double/triple shots were counted as one). I took a break and came back at 10am, heard no shots, saw no birds. They say 220 birds were stocked, and 100 hunters managed to get <20 ??? There is something wrong here! There is no way the birds are there- there are too many hunters and dogs for 90% of the birds to get away!!
    I have been skunked the last 8 trips out there. This was the last stamp I will ever buy in NJ. It is just not worth it anymore. Hey NJ-FGW, either jack up the price and stock what you promise or be honest and tell us that it is too expensive for you to continue!!
    ciscof likes this.

Member #
    Go north or south the wma in the middle are died no birds been hunting black river all year and it suck if you don't go in a half hour before light and find them in the trees then you don't get any .and ps I am one of the last ones to look leave not looking for a easy hunt. Everyone I talked to says the same .I hunt the Dover Chester side but the other side is no better.
    ciscof likes this.

Member #
    Don't want to beat a dead horse but the stocking at Clinton needs improvement. Hunted Clinton 20 to 25 days a year for the last 11 years. Hunt afternoons, 3 to 4 hours a day with a dog. Averaged 125 flushes per year. So far this year got 37 flushes in 11 days!

Talked to a guy that hunted early morning Saturday 12/1. He said that as the orange army entered one of the stocked areas off Van Syckles Rd he witnessed 12 birds flushed in the first 5 minutes. ALL in the first field adjacent to the parking lot!!! He was there 4 hours and only heard 5 more shootings (flushes). First area I went to that afternoon had no tire tracks in the extremely muddy road leading into it. That area is at least 200 acres and it received ZERO birds.

Bottom line, the State is doing a horrible job of spreading out the birds they are stocking. Clinton WMA seems to have more hunters than previous years and the stocking is disgraceful.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsors