Well, an OK finish to my miserable day.
    Member #
    Yesterday, my day didn't start out to well. From me knowing this would be my last Saturday to hunt before permit bow and that a day of hunting, for me, was out of the picture. Every year I get all fired up for the fall bow season only to have it pass bye before I have a chance to harvest a deer.

I'll go back to this past week. I had gotten my aide Linda, who was willing to help me on her time, to scout a new area. Almost right from the get go it looked promising. So, she pushed and pulled me through the woods three different days totaling over eight hours worth of scouting. All for hope that I'd be hunting the area come Saturday.

Well, I wake up this morning only to find out my Folks have other plans and to boot, the forecast wasn't looking too good.

So, I called all my options with no luck.

Long story short about my piss pure day...it sucked. I was deflated once again that the season is coming to an end with no deer in my sights. When, my folks change their minds and say, "We'll take you, but I don't know what you're going to do with the thing if you shoot one." Neither, of them was ever into hunting even when I did it when I was able bodied.

With that said, I'm in my blind by 3:15 pm. Rain coming down, the wind is blowing, but I'm thinking...everyone says how deer will still walk in the rain. Well, wouldn't you know and as God is my witness, by 4:40 pm I see a big deer off to my right about 50yd or more coming around some briers. As it approaches an area where I placed a bit of corn I see it's a doe. As she’s foraging she has her eye on the blind, but still she's willing to come in closer. I have about a minute to decide if I'm going to shoot...she's now 25yd and broadside (in my mind I'm thinking about the on & off rain showers and what my Folks had said) so, I put the red dot on her and bam! I don’t shoot. I decide to watch her. While, doing that I realize there is another one coming in from the same direction. It's her fawn and then another big doe appears (possible last years fawn) further out at another spot where a bit of corn was tossed as well. As the first two walked off to my left out of sight, mother first and fawn shortly behind, the third one decides to stay and eat for a bit out at the furthest area of corn before coming to the closer area where the first two were at. She too, gives me a great broadside view. I line her up in my red dot as well, but again I let her walk. It all took nearly 15 minutes for it to be over.

All in all, I know (in my mind) I would have had one if I had help. So, I’m very pleased to know I had the night I had. And knowing I can still find a good area on my own. Just wish I seen a buck following those does…that would have topped the whole night.

Added: I see my avatar got changed. Thanks to whomever helped me with that.
    My "Handle" is not my aim, I'm paralyzed as a C4-5 quadriplegic.

New Jersey Hunting Maps

Member #
    Count yourself lucky for seeing some deer in that monsoon last night... Do you get the extended permit, because there is always next week.
    free-range, grass-fed, organic, locally produced, locally harvested, sustainable, native, low-stress, low-impact, humanely slaughtered meat. Best of all it is free, other then the cost of my hunting license that is.

Member #
    Do you get the extended permit, because there is always next week.
    The later it gets in the seasons the harder it is for me to stay warm enough to hunt. Being paralyzed, one can no longer regulate their body temp. We tend to fit our surroundings.

I think of myself as cold blooded. I'm a lizard on a hot rock anymore.

New Jersey Hunting Maps

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Have you tried the heater body suit to keep warm I heard they work well.

Member #
    Crippleshot,I don't know where you are located but if you ever need help with one after you shoot it give me a call. I admire your percervirance to pursue the sport. If you'd like PM me your location and phone number and I'll PM you my cell. Good Luck

Member #
    I did not realize that... does bundling up help, or does that only go so far? Have you ever thought of those Thermacare heat wraps? My wife (Always cold, different I know but..) used them skiing basically they are like a constant heat pack that sticks on your back or chest like a band-aid.
    free-range, grass-fed, organic, locally produced, locally harvested, sustainable, native, low-stress, low-impact, humanely slaughtered meat. Best of all it is free, other then the cost of my hunting license that is.

Member #
    Have you tried the heater body suit to keep warm I heard they work well
    I thought about them. Actually, I looked into the heated riding gear for motorcycles. They just got a bit pricey.

Max, thanks a lot for your offer. I'm down here in Atlatic County it maybe just a bit far between us. Just a guess.

does bundling up help, or does that only go so far? Have you ever thought of those Thermacare heat wraps?
    Yes, bundling up only goes so far. Also, I got a few of the heat pads just never tried them.

Although, I can get cold all over, My main problem is my legs. Once the knees get cold my body becomes so stiff it's almost too hard for me to move my arms around. But I just bought a 40 deg. sleeping bag to try for my legs. Just incase I gets nuts and try the cold.

New Jersey Hunting Maps

Sponsors