New Jersey Hunters banner

First Deer of the Season

Tags
swhacker
3K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  2lungking 
#1 ·
Had an awesome hunt last night. Stumbled on this spot Wednesday afternoon when I was walking through the woods with my girlfriend. Saw a bunch a deer so I decided to go back and give it a try. I walk in around 330 it was a long walk so I was set up around 430-5. After a hot sweaty walk and changing trees twice just to get in that right spot. Saw around 610 three doe came behind me at about 60-70yards and didn want to come any closer in time walked off. Then 630 two lil buttons came running right under me to eat the leaves off a branch I just trimmed off. Then a nice big doe come. At about 20yards quartering towards me I stick her perfect, missed the front right shoulder double lung and one of the main heart artery and out the last left rib. I just started using the swhacker broadheads and this was proof to me that they will rip apart anything they touch. She ran 20 yards and dropped. When I pulled the arrow the swhacker inside blades were still ravor sharp too. Over all an amazing hunt but the mile and half drag out got my cardio for the day. Hahah
Deer Wildlife Adaptation Deer hunting Tail

Deer Wildlife Wilderness Night Sky

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Mile an a half[eek] I used to do that now it's 75 yds.Way to scout and git er done.Love the shot,couch,tv an safety inst. would say pass,but I've never lost a deer I've shot straight on through the not so tough brisket,it's impossible to miss a vital! [up] P.S. get a deer cart.

#10 ·
congrats - always wondered about that shot, but in 29 years of bow, have never taken it. If it does present itself, I am confident I can hit that spot so will probably try it. Of course - I have found that most deer usually will present a broadside or quarter away shot eventually, but I have seen enough evidence that this is a good shot.

#13 ·
always wondered about that shot, but in 29 years of bow, have never taken it. If it does present itself, I am confident I can hit that spot so will probably try it
From a tree height between the shoulders work's,front on shot from the ground.First time I did this was swartswood,packed my baker on my back after a fruitless afternoon sit ,got back to the truck parked in a little off the rd. and there were deer in the field 30 yds away.I used the truck as a blocker took the stand off my back nocked and drew my recurve an sidestepped to the left and shot over the hood of my 74 jeep Cherokee and crack,she ran toward my port side and fell crossing the rd when I found her the super hibre dislocated a front leg at the ball joint and deflected into a lung.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.