predator hunting light? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: predator hunting light?

Member #
    After looking over many lights I recently picked up a Sniper Hawg 30LR to use on my shotgun and a Nite eyes head lamp and like them both so far. Both companies were fast on shipping and very helpful.

Member #
    The amount of time you stay depends on the number of spots you have to call and if you are after fox or coyotes. If you have lots of property stay less time and cover more ground. Fox generally come in within ten minutes but eastern coyotes can take 30 to 45 minutes.

Member #
    I've always used Orion hunting lights at night when in search of coyote. https://catchthemeasy.com/best-light...night-reviews/ has a small guide to some of the best models.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Predatorch they are a vendor on here. I have two of the lights, very bright and high quality.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bmelvin View Post
    its hard to compare. What it really boils down to is numbers. If you are hunting in a spot that is full of yotes and foxes then you will have better luck. For me if I am hunting in an area that is light on numbers but I have to help a farmer out or someone else I will do a night sit if I am in NY. You also have to take into account what weapons you are limited to. Here in NJ since we cant use rifles at night you need to get those dogs close which isn't all that easy. At our farms in NY we have spots we can shoot over 200 yards and we can shoot rifles at night. So again all those variables really play into what is successful and what is not. In NJ I have had more success hunting sunrise.
    \
    This is the reason I don't hunt them at night

I am deplorable

Member #
    I agree with longbow I have 2 of PredaTorches lights 1 green 1 red and Joe is a great guy to deal with

Member #
    Predatorch here too. Very good high quality lights and again, Joe is a great guy to deal with. I use his lights and have a few of his calls. All first rate stuff IMO
    NRA Life Member
    FoxPro Staff
    Crimson Talon Broadheads Staff
    Black Widow Deer Lures Staff
    Liquid Ghost Staff
    Ugly Buck Staff

Member #
    Can you hunt em with night vision? Freakin IR monocular with an IR illuminator and IR
    United we stand, Divided we fall.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by JD_H View Post
    Can you hunt em with night vision? Freakin IR monocular with an IR illuminator and IR
    JD yes you can but again only with a shotgun at night. So unless you are getting them to 50 yards of closer it won't matter what you are using to spot them with. We use thermal monos for spotting and NV for GUN mount sight. NV is better for gun mount box it allows for proper target ID. Thermal can get a little questionable depending on the distance and quality of optic. A house pet and yote look identical at 100 yards in a thermal. For that reason alone we use NV. If I ever shot someone's dog (although it shouldn't be out running around) it would kill me. Most of our night hunting is done in NY and PA.

Member #
    I apologize for bump an old topic....
    1) Due to the eye structure of a coyote, any amount of red light really makes their eyes glow fire red, so it is easy for the hunter to spot them. The spill of the light is sufficient to spot eyes from a long distance away. 2) The higher intensity red of the main beam of light doesn't spook the coyote, while the hunter is making positive identification of the animal before shooting.
    Has nothing to do with preserving night vision.

A different situation is deer hunting. A deer hunter likes to use a low intensity red to walk to the deer stand in the dark before sunrise. This low intensity red preserves night vision and the light doesn't spook the deer.

Another situation is feral hog hunting. Although their eyes don't glow nearly as much as coyotes, the high intensity red doesn't spook them.

A white light can be used for hunting. But it is the objective of the user to spot the animal in the spill of the light (e.g. by shining the main beam above the horizon). When ready to shoot, the main light beam is put on the animal. The startled animal will ""freeze"" for a split second while the shooter makes the shot. If the shooter takes too long, chances are that the animal will be startled and run. Many hunters using white light have a dial rheostat in the circuit to gradually adjust the intensity per the situation. When the shooter is ready, the rheostat is turned to give maximum lighting (called ""burning"" the animal).
    So red is more forgiving, and doesn't spook the animal. No need for a rheostat on a red led flashlight/spotlight.I've been using the Elusive Wildlife Technologies KillLight XLR250 RED LED for a hand held scanning light out to 250 yards to light up retinas and the Olight M-20 Crimson RED LED as a weapon mounted kill light.
    Last edited by Yahmak; 01-23-2019 at 10:52 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsors