crowds at Greenwood (An observation)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: crowds at Greenwood (An observation)

Member #

crowds at Greenwood (An observation)

Was out this morning with a friend and his daughter. Was very crowded 35 cars just in the north parking. Every time we started working an area we ran into another group of hunters. We where keeping out dogs in close so they would no interfere with other hunters, wish others would do the same. Been hunting Greenwood for over 12 years and never saw this many people. I was out Thursday after Christmas with two friends and did not run into another hunter. There where other cars but not many. Found a nice covey and managed to get 7 birds out of it. I think I will start hunting non stocking days even thought I do not get as many birds it is a lot more relaxing. I am not complaining just making an observation, everyone with a lic and a pheasant quail stamp has the right to hunt any stocked WMA.
    Wish everyone a Happy New Year.

Member #
    When there are too many hunters. for me the quality of the hunt goes way down. time to get out of dodge and go some where else. safety also is a big issue. you made the right move . have a good season .

Member #
    Stayed away from there today myself, too hot ! We hunted Assunpink in the morning got my 2 after breakfast ! Dogs did great , but was alittle slow first thing ..

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Some times it is difficult to see the orange on hunters at first light. Once the sun comes up the orange stands out. There are areas where under the canopy of pines in the woods the orange is still hard to see, it can be low light under those trees. And if someone has an old faded vest or jacket it makes it worse. There where people in front of us at every turn. And it did get hot, by the time we finished it was almost 50. there where also large groups of of hunters that where spread out through the woods and hunting like they where in a crop field in the Dakotas hunting pheasant or driving deer.
    Last edited by hage.230; 12-29-2019 at 07:33 AM.

Member #
    My brother in law said the same thing he was there. Did you hear "come here Bandit" ? His dog is good at finding birds, not so well manored with other dogs or commands
    He said the same thing no more stocking dates

Member #
    No did not hear come on Bandit. But heard a few choice words that people call there dogs that the FCC might frown on me putting here. I got my dogs responding to the tone on the collar so I do not have to call them. And works better at keeping the dogs close.

Member #
    We were there Tuesday 12/31/19 at first light, 0721hrs. There were 4 of us and we limited out with 16 birds and were back at the truck by 0825. We didn't even have a dog. Great end to the year. I'd post pictures but can't figure it out since the site changed.
    Happy New Year.

Member #
    We made it to Greenwood Tuesday 12/31 as well. We showed up around 1 oclock. It was our first time there but the lot right on 539 had a good crowd, by the time we left there were only 2 other cars in the lot. We didn't see a single bird! Only heard 3-4 shots. We only covered the southern half of the property working the fields and the woods in between. Is there a better tactic? Is it worth heading back next week? We have never hunted January in NJ for birds but I can't imagine all 5,000 birds are gone.

Member #
    Anyone know if they started control burning of Green wood or Colliers Mills yet, or when they will start. I received an email warning of it.

Member #
    They send out email notices when and where they will be burning ! Its a bit early now.
    "At home a friend will ask, “Been bird hunting?” You will say that you have, and when he asks,” Have any luck?” You will think of what you have held in your heart instead of your hand, and then answer that you certainly did—without a doubt." - Gene Hill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors