Looking For English Setter Stud - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Looking For English Setter Stud

Member #
    RPK I didn't have to read between the lines, I knew what he was asking. I will tell you that within Ruffhills breed he forgot more than most know. Simply, if one wants to produce a litter of quality healthy bird finding machines Ruffhills can be a wealth of knowledge.
    I have seen his dog's in action they are cooperative, biddable bird finding machines. They hunt for the gun!

So many times I hear what is the range of your dogs, the answer for me is the intelligence of the dog dictates the range. If you are hunting in the thick grouse woods of Maine then the dog should naturally adjust to the cover. Hunting wide open spaces the dog should search out likely objectives that will hold birds. They should hunt with a purpose as Ruffhills dogs do.

Member #
    I am not questioning his knowledge of dogs just the way he strongly responded to what I thought was a reasonable request to someone not badmouthing field trial dogs.
    goathill likes this.
    "At home a friend will ask, “Been bird hunting?” You will say that you have, and when he asks,” Have any luck?” You will think of what you have held in your heart instead of your hand, and then answer that you certainly did—without a doubt." - Gene Hill

Member #
    Ok first off let's everyone pour a glass about 4 fingers deep and I will explain why and where I'm coming from. Second Nobelle I've been called allot of things in life but your kind words sir usually weren't mentioned with my name I truly can't thank you enough.
    And awaaay we go!
    Most dogs worth an ounce of salt are going to have field trial blood in their pedigree somewhere...why cause their proven. Over time if breeders were reputable imperfections should have been bred out. Go back years setters never had 12:00 tails but they do now. I've taken AA dogs Prairie running dogs have bred them in hopes of infusing more wild bird sense and run had 10 pups and maybe got 2 that would've made it in the trial world and they only would've made it in walking stakes. It's a misconception that you breed 2 trial dogs and you get these crazed running lunatics. So yes when I read that statement it royally pissed me off. Know what you're talking about make educated decisions. I'm extremely anal about breeding especially when it comes to setters they can be squirrely enough
    Hell take the time to talk with people who have been doing this and have put their hearts and souls into it. It's simple genetics look at Miller bred pointers news flash ole Ferrell didn't make those pointers turn white overnight. The op has a dog from MI there's a wealth of knowledge out there as there is here if one is willing to close the hole under ones nose and open the 2 on the side of one's head. I wish everyone nothing but the best
    P.S. Nobellehause my life's mission has now become to get you to run one of these squirrely Shags
    Last edited by ruffhills; 08-16-2019 at 01:07 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Ruffhills: I call them as I see them with my own eyes not through someone else's. While my life's passion has been GSP'S,(American Line) and now for better than a decade the German bred lines know as DK's, at this stage in my life where I started is where I will end. In fact, when I began this crazy journey I started with a GSP pup out of field trial lines who was a National Field Champion,(NFC). What you say is the absolute truth, a dedicated reputable breeder is always when contemplating a breeding looking to bred out imperfects always breeding with a purpose not simply putting two dogs together. Heart, desire, intelligence, cooperation and natural abilities in my opinion is the responsibility of a breeder, it is the environment in which a pup is placed determines the true greatness of the dog.
    Last edited by Nobellehaus; 08-17-2019 at 07:04 AM.

Member #
    Like I said if you can't offer what i'm looking for, go eat "my pissed filled Wheaties.

Member #
    Hey Ruffhills have not heard from you in a long time. A great grouse woods field trial dog is a great hunting dog. I have taken All age britts and had nice close ranging dogs. of course my idea of a close ranging dog is one that stays in bell range, under 100 yards. And Bob I have run dogs with you and your Short Hair can really cover ground, great little dog!!!! I have had setters for 12 years now and mine get out there and hunt. A dog that covers a lot of ground will find more birds. And Bob was that a picture of you dog in Pointing Dog Journal?

Member #
    Also to add. Out of my last litter is a female that my friend has that does not range over 75 yards. And the other extreme is a male named Jake owned by a pro, Tom Woods, out in Oklahoma that has been run in 15 trials from horse back and has placed 12 times but he was the only one that was heavily trialed. My male, Yeti, will range according to the cover, close in grouse woods and will put 200 yards down in no time out west where I hunt Huns and Sharp tails out in North Dakota. One thing I do believe is that I like to breed to a proven wild bird dog. A dog that can handle grouse in the woods or Huns on the prairie is what I want to breed too.

Member #

Hage

Quote Originally Posted by hage.230 View Post
    Hey Ruffhills have not heard from you in a long time. A great grouse woods field trial dog is a great hunting dog. I have taken All age britts and had nice close ranging dogs. of course my idea of a close ranging dog is one that stays in bell range, under 100 yards. And Bob I have run dogs with you and your Short Hair can really cover ground, great little dog!!!! I have had setters for 12 years now and mine get out there and hunt. A dog that covers a lot of ground will find more birds. And Bob was that a picture of you dog in Pointing Dog Journal?
    Morning Hage, you have me at disadvantage as I can not place the name Hage here with a person. I am not even sure if you are talking about the right Bob or where or when you saw me and my shorthair, which for the better part of my life wild have been shorthairs...

Member #
    RPK0260 Is the Bob I am talking about. He has a nice female shorthair named Riley.

Member #
    RPK0620 Is the Bob I am talking about. He has a nice female shorthair named Riley. I see him once or twice before the season running at Colliers Mills.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsors