Looking for a Trainer for my Pointer
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Birddogger
  • 2 Post By Birddogger

Thread: Looking for a Trainer for my Pointer

Member #

Looking for a Trainer for my Pointer

Looking for a trainer who is able to help get my pointer steady. 3 y/o female wants that bird badly, she’s not even pointing just running in. Trying to get some fine tuning in before the season starts. Able to train on weekends. I’m in somerset county so ideally would like to travel less than an hour but willing to travel further if necessary.

Member #
    do it yourself get a check cord and set it up so it goes around the belly and when she tries to rush in pull it so there is tension on the belly and use the whoa command and make her hold

Member #
    ant2004 sti -

You might want to call Dom Preite. He is a very good dog trainer and will work with both you and your dog. This time of the year most of the field trial pros are pretty busy. Dom is no longer competing, but still training.

He is in Franklinville, NJ. which is a bit of a distance from you, but worth the ride...I think... and certainly worth the phone call.

The number I have for him is 609-221-7832.

Good luck.

RayG
    ruffhills and Fshon2 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    dom is the best he trained my gsp at 7 months old but gave me a lot of info to do more on my own

Member #
    About $50 and some youtube videos. Whoa training is not that hard to do yourself. Need more info though- Is this the dogs first hunting season? Is the dog obedient otherwise? Will it sit/stay on command and not break in the house? How many birds has the dog caught already? how many birds has the dog been on? Has the dog been shot over?

You really can do it yourself. Will allow you to train more (repetition is important) and not have to drive all over.

For reference: I am no way a pro. I have successfully trained a vizsla and GSP with just the help of NAVHDA and lots of reading and watching videos online. SPent no money on an actual trainer and my dog is damn good.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Apachee5 View Post
    About $50 and some youtube videos. Whoa training is not that hard to do yourself. Need more info though- Is this the dogs first hunting season? Is the dog obedient otherwise? Will it sit/stay on command and not break in the house? How many birds has the dog caught already? how many birds has the dog been on? Has the dog been shot over?

You really can do it yourself. Will allow you to train more (repetition is important) and not have to drive all over.

For reference: I am no way a pro. I have successfully trained a vizsla and GSP with just the help of NAVHDA and lots of reading and watching videos online. SPent no money on an actual trainer and my dog is damn good.
    A word of caution to the OP.

A 3 year old dog that is rushing in and not pointing at all may not react well to the pressure necessary to get it to stand its birds. It is apparent that a piece of the dog's training is not in place yet... if that is what the dog is currently doing.

If you push too hard and too fast to steady the dog, you may wind up creating a blinker. If you want the dog ready for the upcoming season, that may be pushing too hard and too fast if you do not know what you are doing. I can't say one way or the other without seeing the dog.

Be careful. Get help.

RayG
    Fshon2 and ruffhills like this.

Member #
    sounds like you need to get him on some pigeons, pigeons, and more pigeons

Sponsors