Winter Dog House
    Member #

Winter Dog House

My daughter's dog is temporarily living in my back yard. This temporary arrangement may be a while. I'm not a dog guy. I never planned to have a dog but I do. He's quite content on the long cable run I put up for him and the doghouse my daughter brought when she dropped him off. But winter's coming.

I'm probably going to get bashed for not letting her dog live in my house but as I mentioned, I'm not a dog guy. He's going to live outside if he's here.

But, I don't want the dog to suffer. I plan to build him a suitable house for the winter but I'm not sure how to do that. I'm a pretty good carpenter so building the house isn't the problem. I haven't figured out how to give him a warm house that will keep out the drafts but let him come and go easily.

I can insulate the walls. I can even add some sort of heat if needed. The biggest problem I'm having is coming up with a door arrangement that will do a good job of staying closed, even on windy nights.

If any one here has built something that works or seen something that works, please share.

Thanks.
    -Ryan

Member #
    Just google Insulated Dog Houses. Tons of info available.

Member #
    How big is the dog, what breed?

I may be able to help you out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Go on www.gundogsupply.com search heater many options available for around $100

Member #
    Good luck
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Herd Buck; 09-25-2018 at 09:14 PM.

Member #
    I have an older K-9 Condo in great shape that is insulated, has the swinging door and an electric heater that you can have for free as well. It should be big enough for up to about an 80 pound dog. Let me know if you're interested.

Member #
    You have been given some excellent options.

Where you live you don't really need much in the way of an outside doghouse. I lived in central NJ which gets colder and that s what I used up there. My dogs are outside dogs. Always have been. Always will be.

I have been using the Petmate Dogloo Indigo for quite a few years now and my pointers do just fine outside. If the dog is 50# or less, a medium Dogloo which is $85 at Tractor Supply is what I'd recommend. done and done.

If you decide to build a house, you need to understand two things. First, the smaller the doghouse, the easier it will be for the dog to heat it with its own body heat. Second, a proper winter doghouse needs an entryway to a separate weathertight sleeping chamber.

Years ago I made a house for my dogs. It was out of exterior plywood that I painted to make it weatherproof. I actually insulated the floor by making a sandwich of 3/8" plywood, 1/2" foam and another layer of 3/8" and I put it up on 4 X4 to get it off the ground. The walls were made the same way and the roof was not insulated. I made the roof fit over the walls so I could take it off and either add bedding or clean it out with ease. The entry hole was big enough for the dogs to get through, but no bigger. There was a plywood wall alongside the doorway, extending about halfway back which cut off all drafts.

Turned out that no bedding at all was needed. I probably didn't need the wall insulation either. And that was many years ago when we actually had cold winters in central NJ.

RayG

Member #

dog house

birddogger gave you good info on building the house, to reduce wind get some refridgeration strips ( clear plastic) like you see on walk
    in coolers to cover doorway DONE DEAL .

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by estimator View Post
    Just google Insulated Dog Houses. Tons of info available.
    +1

Sponsors