New Jersey Hunters banner

About females GSP

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Dirtracing 
#1 ·
Would you recommend to spay my female?
I have read about the pros and cons but have to take a decision.
I would like not to do it but at the end I have to chose the best option.
what time is the best?

First time with a female.

#2 ·
I’m in the same boat just put a deposit down on a female Gsp
I have a make Gsp who’s intacted and I have no interest in breeding or bleeding
But I want the best upland dog possible, males I was told not to get him fixed because it can mess up testosterone and his drive and growth development.
Females I dont see how it would make much of a difference but that’s just my opinion.
I would like to hear some input as well

#3 ·
I was reading about that also.
healthy problems like incontinence (con) is one
and the hormonal development is messed up.
But you can find a lot of different "studies and opinions"
confused about it, no experience

#4 ·
Guys -

I am not a vet, but I have done some studying on the subject.

As far as males re concerned, there is virtually no evidence that neutering them has any benefit whatsoever. It will not cure behavioral problems. The only time neutering a male may make any sense is if, later in life, the dog encounters prostate problems. Unfortunately, by the time the dog develops prostate problems, there are often other underlying conditions, such as cancer which make neutering irrelevant.

The claim that is most often made, with regard to male castration, is that it eliminates the possibility of testicular cancer. What they WON'T tell you is that testicular cancer is EXTEMELY rare in dogs... unless the dog has an undescended testicle, which virtually assures the onst of the disease in the undescended organ...which is why it is ALWAYS removed.

As for females, there IS a significant body of evidence that spaying will indeed yield health benefits. Mammary cancer in spayed females is virtually non-existent, but is fairly common in intact dogs. Spaying will also virtually eliminate pyometra and other reproductive based maladies.

Sooo, once a female has achieved physical maturity(bones fully formed, etc.), typically after age 2...if you are not going to breed the dog, it makes good sense to spay. The pluses include the fact that you do not have to imprison the dog for three weeks or so, every six months.

When a female dog's cycle occurs in the heart of hunting season, you will appreciate that benefit of spaying.

Be advised, some docs can be pretty insistent about spaying dogs in general and some suggest that it be done at very young ages, like after the first heat. I believe this is far too early.

There is considerable evidence that, at least for sporting dogs, this early neutering can negatively impact their abilities in the field, because their bones are not fully formed and their physiques are not fully developed and without the hormones to push their bodies to adulthood, they never fully develop physically.

RayG

#5 ·
well If were me there are a lot of things to consider 1 are you planning to breed her even if your not sure then don't spay.2 if she is a inside dog coming into heat can be a problem with spotting and odor not good but would spay.3 if you choose to spay just watch the diet they can bulk up a bit if your not cautious my friend is a breeder of short hairs but all kennel dogs

#6 ·
Thanks for the input.
I have read in some articles that spaying too early is not good because the hormonal development is important and of course a normal stage in any healthy dog.
At least I could wait a little bit until my dog is not a puppy anymore.

Reactions: chickinafoxhole
#7 ·
I have read in some articles that spaying too early is not good because the hormonal development is important and of course a normal stage in any healthy dog.
My GSP which I adopted at 1 year old, to be both a house pet and for hunting, was finishing up on a heat cycle most likely her first as they come on at anywhere from 6 to 12 months.
We didn't want the mess in the house and I didn't want every male dog afield chasing her.
So she was spayed a few weeks after her heat subsided.
I have had her now for 3 years and there doesn't seem to be any issues to date.
She has a great nose and hunts well, there are no adverse affects to her being spayed at 1 yr.
I run her a bit every evening and try to get her afield at least 3 to 4 days per week for a good run.
If I don't get her exercised, only then will she put on a bit of extra weight.

#8 ·
The current thinking is to wait until the bitch is mature. That varies with the breed, of course. Information has already been shared about hormonal development, but just as important (if not more) is bone development. You want to make sure that all the bone plates have closed. Early spay before maturity can cause joint damage as well as legginess. Neither of those are good for working dogs. Last but not least, the incidence of some cancers rise considerably when bitches have been spayed too young. Wait if you can. Mammary gland cancers are very treatable now, especially if they're caught early. It's not the death sentence it once was. But some of the cancers found in early spays include osteosarcoma, which has no cure and is very painful.

#9 ·
I have a GSP that is from Indian Creek.. She is bred and born to hunt.. 2.5yrs old and spayed... You wait till your dog goes through her first time getting her It lowers the chances of any possible future issues down the road...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.