• 2 Post By Nobellehaus

Thread: njnavhda anyone?

Member #

njnavhda anyone?

I have a GSP female puppy. I saw njnavhda website, looks great
    but I wonder if any of you guys is member here, looking for some info
    (from the owner perspective)

Thanks
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

"...Be water, my friend.”

Member #
    I’m a member feel free to pm me.
    Mikelodeon and TLSTRANS like this.
    I should be working ... there's always tomorrow

Member #
    navhda is a great organization now that being said it is not for everyone....to me owning a bird dog is all about training what I mean is one on one training I could not imagine trying to train with help or advice of others ...I love one on one time with my dogs that's what it's all about for me .... plus I really don't play well with others but that's just me
    Mikelodeon, RPK0620 and Sab like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    I think each Navhda chapter has its own personality. There is almost certainly a wide range of training experience within each chapter.

Years(many) ago I went to a couple training sessions at Colliers Mills. Saw some very nice dogs. However, the training seemed to be fairly heavy on the obedience aspect and that was not the kind of dog I wanted to end up with. I have no idea what the current makeup of the Colliers Mills group is, but the best way to find out is to go there and watch. Make your own evaluation. If you are looking for folks to show you how to do things, I am sure you will find knowledgeable folks willing to show you.

I am fairly familiar with a different Navhda chapter, the Delmarva chapter. I am actually a member there. Again a wide range of training experience and a wide range of interests. Some folks are very focused on preparing their dogs for NA and the testing that follows while others are more interested in developing a canine companion that they can hunt with. Again, there are several members with experience who are willing to share.

Working with your dog, learning how to bring your dog along and having both you and your dog enjoy the process can be very rewarding and gratifying. To me, watching that "Light" come on in the young dog's eyes is about as good as it gets.

There is one other place I should mention to you and that is the English Setter Club of America in Medford, NJ. It is quite probably the premier bird dog training facility on the east coast and boasts members who have competed and won at the very highest levels of bird dog competitions. I am a member there as well, even though I don't get up there that often. It is set up for training of field trial type dogs, but there are plenty of pure bird hunters who train there as well.

It is not inexpensive to join, but maintaining such a private facility is not cheap and it is a great place.

Enjoy the journey.

RayG
    Last edited by Birddogger; 02-06-2018 at 09:22 AM.

Member #
    The delval chapter of navhda has a lot of good people and experence in dog training. You just tell them what you want to do wiyh you dog and they can help. You deside if you want to test or not.
    Engilish springer club is good too. Membership is limited and membership no cheap. Great facility. I sugest you find a member to bring you in as guest. Im a member but just joined and don't think i can bring guest the first year.

Navhda is a good start delval's schedule is on the internet
    TLSTRANS likes this.

Member #
    I just joined NAVHDA and will be joining Deval Chapter with my brother in law this year to train his Britt for upland hunting . I am on a waiting list fo a Pudelpointer pup looking forward to help him and others ,and learn training skills for my new pup.
    TLSTRANS likes this.

Member #

Navhda

Mickelodeon:

To answer you question, NAVHDA as a whole is a great organization. While I no longer participate I have been and am still a member of the International, as well as a registered kennel within NAVHDA for decades. I started two chapters one in NY and the other in NJ. The strength of the chapter and the success in training is based on the experieince and the knowledge of the individual chapter members. Some join for simply the ability to have access to land, water and birds in the off season to spend time with thier dogs while others want to get involved with the various levels of testing and train towards those goals. Depending on the size of the individual chapter membership, a training day can be a long day. It is not about someone taking over the training of your dog but rather people working together to help train each other's dogs so be prepared for your dog to spend more down time than training time. You will get all sorts of advice it is up to you to sort out which adcive is best suited for you and your dog. Each chapter runs their training clinics best suited for that individual chapter.

Particpiating in a NAVHDA clinic is a great way to learn however to achieve the results of a productive hunting dog you still must work your dog on your own.

Smitty I bet you and could spend hours over a beer talking hutning dogs and training..

Bob C

vomnobellehaus.com
    smittty and TLSTRANS like this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobellehaus View Post
    Mickelodeon:

To answer you question, NAVHDA as a whole is a great organization. While I no longer participate I have been and am still a member of the International, as well as a registered kennel within NAVHDA for decades. I started two chapters one in NY and the other in NJ. The strength of the chapter and the success in training is based on the experieince and the knowledge of the individual chapter members. Some join for simply the ability to have access to land, water and birds in the off season to spend time with thier dogs while others want to get involved with the various levels of testing and train towards those goals. Depending on the size of the individual chapter membership, a training day can be a long day. It is not about someone taking over the training of your dog but rather people working together to help train each other's dogs so be prepared for your dog to spend more down time than training time. You will get all sorts of advice it is up to you to sort out which adcive is best suited for you and your dog. Each chapter runs their training clinics best suited for that individual chapter.

Particpiating in a NAVHDA clinic is a great way to learn however to achieve the results of a productive hunting dog you still must work your dog on your own.

Smitty I bet you and could spend hours over a beer talking hutning dogs and training..

Bob C

vomnobellehaus.com
    yup im sure ...who knows maybe we already have

Sponsors