Ordinance to stop hunting near parks in zone 11
    Member #

Ordinance to stop hunting near parks in zone 11

If you want to fight this, show up November 6th for the public hearing. Even if it does not affect you, if it is successful other townships might implement similar rules.

Read this and see what you think. I agree with some parts of it, such as rules to follow for shooting ranges facing a park, but some I find infringing on our rights as land owners. This part of the state is rural so we are not talking about inside city limits were large concentrations of people are present
    It does not only include guns, but sling shots, paintball, bow and arrow, and any other projectile that can harm a person.
    I have pulled out some parts below that I find infringing.

This is stemming from a park that was recently built in the area around a persons house (all 4 sides are surrounded), the land owner had a firing range at his house before the park was built with a dirt back stop. Now that the park is built they put a walking trail about 100 yards from his back stop going behind it. The public didn't like his firing range and went to the township, the township could not do anything because the state deemed his range safe. So now they are trying to pass a law to make his range illegal.

The link below is to view the entire ordinance.
    http://www.kingwoodtownship.com/KT_C...10.7.14%29.pdf

"The Township Committee hereby determines and ordains that no person, except asnoted herein, shall fire, discharge any firearm, carry or transport any loaded firearm,as defined herein in Section I, Definitions, within 450 feet of any park or playground orany school or school grounds."

Exceptions:
    "L.
    Persons lawfully participating in the Kingwood Township permit hunting program."

"N. A privately owned and operated practice range in existence as of the effective dateof this Ordinance, and located within 450 feet of a Township park, playground orschool, may continue to operate, if:
    (1) It obtains a permit from the Kingwood Township Committee within 30 days ofthe effective date of this Ordinance and every three years thereafter;
    (13) Outdoor shooting at any practice range shall not be permitted from April 1through November 30 on Saturdays, Sundays, Memorial Day, 4th of July,Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans, Election Day, and Thanksgiving.
    (14) is insured against liability forpersonal injury and death and against liability for property damage arisingfrom the operation of the practice range in an amount of at least $1,000,000for one occurrence and $2,000,000 aggregate coverage.
    (16) The following fees and escrows are paid to the Township Clerk at the timeapplication is made for a permit or a renewal thereof: A. An application fee of $250;

B. An escrow fee of $1000 for engineering fees for the Township Engineer toconduct such reviews and inspections as may be necessary (other thanthose called for in Section III O (8)) or to reimburse the National RifleAssociation for any fees or charges it may impose. The escrow shall bereplenished as necessary to maintain a balance of $1000. The Townshipwill manage such escrow account in compliance with the requirements ofN.J.S.A. 40:55D-53.2, et seq. "

Like I said some of the rules they list make sense, such as a proper shooting range if you are shooting toward a public park. But to limit how far away you have to be from the park property line you must be (including hunting on private property) is pushing it. Another problem is these parks in question allow paid hunting permits, these hunters do not have to abide by these rules and can hunt right on the property line if they wish.

This doesn't even affect me because I hunt in zone 10 and 9, but yet I feel it is the wrong way to go about this.

What are your insights?

Member #
    I don't like it but think the guy is screwed. How many parks are in Kingswood/

Member #
    personally I agree, ether way the guy will have trouble shooting on his own property.
    But I don't understand not allowing private property owners from hunting their property, but allowing a paying permit holder to do as they wish.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

rgw
    Member #
    I think if enough people go to fight it you may be able to knock it down because of the double standard. your allowed to hunt there with a permit but cant hunt on your own property, they are going to get beaten up un that one. wouldn't that guys range be grandfathered in since it is pre-existing and approved by the state police
    Hunting, Trapping, & fishing with my boy is what i love to do in life

Member #
    No, they have already worked around that one. They have a exception that basically states any pre existing range must be approved before continued use after it is passed.

You are right about the double standard, I'm not sure yet if I can make it. But it would be interesting to see how this pans out.

Member #
    So, they pretty much want to pass an ordinance that is 2/3 already covered by state law?

Member #
    What are the laws you are referring too? I looked up range laws for NJ but couldn't find anything. Im sure it is listed but I just couldn't find it.

Member #
    I'm talking about the laws that state you cannot hunt within 450 of any school or playground. Since their local ordinance would prohibit this, it seems stupid to make the ordinance.

rgw
    Member #
    try to keep this current. every one that hunts this area and surroundind areas should try to attend, if this passes other townships will surely follow, i believe the state owns land that abbuts it so somehow we should try to get someone from the state to come also
    Hunting, Trapping, & fishing with my boy is what i love to do in life

Sponsors