My Big 8 pt w/ Permit Bow....finally!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member #
    On Sunday afternoon, I convinced my wife to join me in the woods to experience a hunt. 2 1/2 weeks prior, I set up a blind about 15 yards away from our feeder. Tiffany and I got settled in the blind about 3 pm when she took out her iphone and began filming herself mimicing all the hunting shows I watch. She quitely whispered that we just got settled and we're waiting for a big buck to show up tonight. I then told her, that if a big buck does in fact show up and I shoot it, you will be joining me on every hunt.
    Well around 4:15 we had 3 yearlings show up. I promised her I would leave all little ones and small bucks alone. Then 15 minutes later, she tapped my arm and said, Scott...Monster Buck coming. I told her immediately to quit F'ING w/ me. She said I'm serious, look! I leaned a little her way and saw this magnificent rack coming through the wood line. And suddenly like every buck encounter I have, my heart starts pounding and knees start shaking.
    The buck came through into the open trail and stared directly into the blind which felt like forever. He then put his head down in which it allowed me to draw the bow back. He then circled around and angled himself so he was quartering away. I put the pin on him and let the arrow fly. I got a nice kick back from him and then he bolted! After I settled down, I told Tiffany we need to wait at least another 20 - 30 minutes.
    After 20 minutes, we headed up in the opposite direction of where the buck ran so I could drop some stuff off at the truck and get the flashlights. We then walked back down and immediately picked up the bloodtrail (A little over a month ago, I quit shooting Rage and switched to Muzzy MX-3's. Best decision I've made hunting besides shooting a Hoyt). Anyway, we picked up the bloodtrail and Tiffany immediately stopped me 5 yards into it and said...there he is. The buck was bedded down next to a creek in some very thick stuff. I took two additional steps which caused the buck to get up and walk 5 yards in which I can see that his opposite side shoulder was completely busted! He bedded back down immediately. At this point I decided to back out and come back in the morning.
    When I arrived in the morning at 7 am and went to the spot where I left him, there was a gigantic pool of blood. I figured I'd follow the trail and see my buck shortly. And much to my surprise, 100 yards later, I see the buck stand up and snort at me. My heart sank!
    When the buck got up, he walked a few more yards and went back down. I could see my red illumenok and arrow jammed through him and into the opposite shoulder. I must have hit him a little too high and only one lung and broke his shoulder. After seeing him walk and bed instantly, I said I'm not giving up on you. I put on my 1st ever spot and stalk which took 45 minutes of heart pounding action ultimately to fire another well placed arrow to finish my buck off.
    Needless to say, I am happier than a pig in shit but also felt bad that this was not the cleanest 1st shot, but heart and determination plus an extreme bow hunting addiction allowed me to not give up on this animal as THAT IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO!

Enough of the story...here's the pictures and details:

Field Dressed - 150 lbs
    Rough Score - 110 inches
    Spread - 14 1/4 inches
    One G2 was 9 inches long!!!

Napa #56 - Let's go MTJ in 2010!
    What would one do without CAMO everything!

Member #
    GOOD STORY ,NICE BUCK,YOU BETTER PLAN ON HUNTING ON THE GROUND MORE WITH YOUR WIFE NICE

Member #
    nice

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    nice buck congrats

Member #
    Congrats. Good kill.
    Enjoy life. It has an expiration date.

Member #
    nice buck congrats

Member #
    Congrats cousin...way to keep at it!

Member #
    Sweet!
    The whole flock is safer when the wolves can't tell the difference between the lions and the lambs.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian!" - Henry Ford

Member #
    Congrats on that great buck Awesome to have your lovely wife in on the hunt with you and then holding the buck as well So I guess she will be on all your future hunts

SS!
    "All that evil needs to Triumph is for good men and women to stand by and do nothing"

Member #
    Awesome

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsors