Bummer start to my 2011 bow season
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    My cousin and I hunted our spot in Del. Twp yesterday morning. At 6:45 am we had two nice size does come in. I ended up taking a 25 yard shot at a doe and watched my lumenoks/rage tipped arrows fly and hit a little high on the doe but forward. The doe bolted immediately and I watched the arrow/red light run off with her. She ran right past my cousin's stand where he noticed the rage sticking out on one side and the red lumenok sticking out the other. Needless to say, we waited 30 mins. before climbing down only to track for 3 hours w/ no luck!
    We picked up a very small blood yet dark red blood trail about 75 yards from the shot and trailed that for another 100 or so yards only to cross a creek. Unfortunately, we did not recover the doe and I wasn't about to go trespassing on multiple properties only to continue further. We didn't jump any deer while searching which was weird too.

Either way...shitty start and I'm mentally f'd now. I spent the afternoon practicing and this morning instead of going back out there. I love the woods and love bow hunting but losing a deer, especially on opening day really gets the head involved!

Urghhh....

Any words of advice on following a smooth routine while anchoring and bring the finger forward to the release??? Thanks,
    Scott
    Napa #56 - Let's go MTJ in 2010!
    What would one do without CAMO everything!

Member #
    it happens. the best way to get over it is to get back out there. If your confident in your shooting then in the tree you must be.
    The act of killing is visceral .......

Member #
    It happens to everyone. Best thing to do is get back out there and forget about it.Practice enough and your draw and anchor point should be automatic.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Thanks gentlemen!
    Napa #56 - Let's go MTJ in 2010!
    What would one do without CAMO everything!

Member #
    Get back in the saddle scotty. It happens to the best of them.

Member #
    my advice is throw away the rages and shoot grim reapers

Member #
    ^
    South Jersey Hunter

DDS
    Member #
    Either way...shitty start and I'm mentally f'd now. I spent the afternoon practicing and this morning instead of going back out there. I love the woods and love bow hunting but losing a deer, especially on opening day really gets the head involved!
    I started the season same way just I didnt see anything which as also weird for my spot, not a single deer. I even went out for a walk around the 20 acres I hunt on, nothing.

I understand your situation it happened to me last year. I took two bad shots last year. One was a shot right before dark probably a little too dark, tracked that night for 45 min then the next day for 4 hours nothing. Then another was a quartering away shot. I got one lung on this one but after 5 hours of tracking the blood trail just vanished, even had some friends come out never found her.

So I understand what your talking about how its discouraging, and makes you think twice before every shot you take.

The only thing that helped me was to practice for a week, then get back out and shoot one. Last season after I got over this little hump the season went great and the more deer I took with better shots the better I felt.

Member #
    It happens, you just have to move past it....next time it might be a good idea to wait hours before tracking a deer that doesnt have a good shot on it, I did the same and was able to recover the deer only 100 yds away after waiting hours before going to track
    Bowtech Insanity #60
    Mathews Chill #70

Member #
    When your arrow hits high and comes out high on the other side as well, there will not always be a good blood trail. The body cavity fills up with blood but little or none hits the ground. The high wounds combined with the arrow staying in the deer and holding the blood back are two reasons for a poor blood trail. Unless your shot was way forward and/or way high, that deer is probably dead on the other side of the creek.

I ran a doe through the vitals last year with what I felt was a great hit. A high entrance wound and a low exit wound (25+ ft up in the tree) and found my arrow along with a lot of blood. I saw exactly which path the der ran on but the blood trail stopped almost imediately. I couldn't even find a drop after an hr or two of searching on the trail I saw that deer on. I knew it was a kill shot so I stopped trying to follow blood and went searching concentric circles. Found her dead approx 70 yds away. The non-existent blood trail was because the guts had plugged the exit wound. When i gutted, there was a tremendous amount of blood inside the body cavity. I then tried back tracking, hoping to learn something and because I think i'm a pretty good tracker and was curious why no blood trail, and couldn't find a drop even when i could clearly see I was on her trail.

Lastly, if this happens with a buck and you don't recover, look for buzzards and crows when hunting that area later on and there is a very good chance they will find your buck for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors