WTB - 28 Ga. SxS - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: WTB - 28 Ga. SxS

Member #
    OK, what about ammo? Where you going to buy it?
    Enjoy life. It has an expiration date.

Member #
    Archer the 28 is more popular than you think. Any real gun shop has it.
    Bucksnbows and Lou like this.

Member #
    Compare that Aya to the CZ bobwhite - seems pretty similar with a solid difference in price. We can talk longevity and all but the average birdhunter is not putting 1000's of rounds a month through their guns for years on end.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by cj3a View Post
    Archer the 28 is more popular than you think. Any real gun shop has it.
    How many of those around and how is the selection? Personally, the 28 can't do anything a 20 can. The 20 is more versatile when using 3" shells. The 28 is just a novelty. Not bashing. Just my opinion.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by archer36 View Post
    How many of those around and how is the selection? Personally, the 28 can't do anything a 20 can. The 20 is more versatile when using 3" shells. The 28 is just a novelty. Not bashing. Just my opinion.
    Obviously you're not a wild bird hunter. No need to use 3" shells on grouse or woodcock or even pheasants, for that matter, over a pointing dog. This isn't about versatility because if it was, I'd stick with a 12 gauge and use high or low power shells according to what I was hunting. The 28 gauge is a joy to carry all day in the woods behind a gun dog plain and simple. It points and shoots well and is designed for shot sizes between 6 and 9 for the most part. Perfect for anything from a pointed pheasant to woodcock and quail. It's my go-to for grouse and woodcock and I've never had any problems finding ammo at any normal gun store over the many years I've owned mine.

What the 28 does better than the 20 is that is it often significantly lighter which makes a big difference in the thick covers where wild birds live.
    Lou and markbrit like this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucksnbows View Post
    Obviously you're not a wild bird hunter. No need to use 3" shells on grouse or woodcock or even pheasants, for that matter, over a pointing dog. This isn't about versatility because if it was, I'd stick with a 12 gauge and use high or low power shells according to what I was hunting. The 28 gauge is a joy to carry all day in the woods behind a gun dog plain and simple. It points and shoots well and is designed for shot sizes between 6 and 9 for the most part. Perfect for anything from a pointed pheasant to woodcock and quail. It's my go-to for grouse and woodcock and I've never had any problems finding ammo at any normal gun store over the many years I've owned mine.

What the 28 does better than the 20 is that is it often significantly lighter which makes a big difference in the thick covers where wild birds live.
    No need for 3" shells. What about wild pheasants in the mid-west? You won't be getting too many 10 yd shots there. As far as weight goes, it varies by model. You can get 20 ga. that are lighter than 28 so the benefit of the 28 is not true. Even if you buy the same exact gun, does 4 ounces make a big difference? I think the 28 is attractive for it's snob appeal. So far no benefits put forward are totally valid. Finally, the availability and variety of shells available makes a 28 less desirable in my opinion. You can't say that just because you like a 20 then you may as well get a 12. I could say if you like the 28 you may as well go with a .410.
    Last edited by archer36; 07-05-2014 at 10:50 AM.

Lou
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by archer36 View Post
    No need for 3" shells. What about wild pheasants in the mid-west? You won't be getting too many 10 yd shots there. As far as weight goes, it varies by model. You can get 20 ga. that are lighter than 28 so the benefit of the 28 is not true. Even if you buy the same exact gun, does 4 ounces make a big difference? I think the 28 is attractive for it's snob appeal. So far no benefits put forward are totally valid. Finally, the availability and variety of shells available makes a 28 less desirable in my opinion. You can't say that just because you like a 20 then you may as well get a 12. I could say if you like the 28 you may as well go with a .410.
    WOW..your are way off base if your comparing a 410 to a 28. No one that has hunted with these two gages would ever draw an compassion. The 410 is in a class all it's own.
    You can compare 28,20,16 and 12 ga. you can get them all in 1oz loads.
    Bucksnbows likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ245 View Post
    Compare that Aya to the CZ bobwhite - seems pretty similar with a solid difference in price. We can talk longevity and all but the average birdhunter is not putting 1000's of rounds a month through their guns for years on end.
    there is no comparison the AYA is a fine shotgun and trust me it would be a pleasure to carry afield and that one seems fair priced .... i've carried $10.000 and 100.00 dollar guns trust me there is a difference

Member #
    American skeet has kept the 28 alive for years and now it has a new following. For the negative attitude folks, you need to treat yourself and try a 28 for a hunting season you will be pleasantly surprised at the performance. Its amazing what you can do with 3/4 oz of hard 6's and if you reload the little guns just gets better. I have shot competition with a 28 over the years and continue to use one for crow hunting. One nice thing is the savings reloads have on your wallet, a pound of powder goes a long way.
    Bucksnbows, Lou and Bowguy like this.

Member #
    I've been reloading the 28 for a few years now. I have a buddy that keeps supplying me with once fired hulls since he doesn't reload. I have pretty close to 2 cases of 28's all loaded up, ready for this coming season. 3/4 ounce of hard 6's will do a number on any pheasant that flies, even those occasional long shots.
    Lou likes this.
    Pasta Fagioli Pro Staffer

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsors