Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: WTB - 28 Ga. SxS

Member #
    I have 16ga i would part with.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by murk339 View Post
    I have 16ga i would part with.
    I already have a nice 16 Ga but one can never have too many lol. What do you have that you're willing to part with?
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference and they deserve a place of honor with all that is good."
    --George Washington

"Individualism has come in for an enormous amount of criticism over the years. It still does. It is widely assumed to be synonymous with selfishness...But the main reason why so many people in power have always disliked individualism is because it is individualists who are ever keenest to prevent the abuse of authority."
    -- Margaret Thatcher

Member #
    tdaly25 - did you check Griffin & Howe? They have about 13 used 28s in stock ranging in price from $1,250 for an SKB up to $285,000 for a super set of 4 matched guns from Perazzi.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Keep your eyes open for a Weatherby Athena on gunbroker. Very nice gun.
    Sometimes you're the windshield . . . sometimes you're the bug

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by BestNJBirdDogs View Post
    I started shooting a 28 ga in 2013 and it was a fantastic change. Great in the field and on the sporting clays course.
    What's the point of 28 gauge? Not flaming/criticizing, but generally interested in hearing opinions.

I mean, if they give you a "handicap" for using one, that suggests to me a 20 gauge, etc... is more efficient/better at hitting. What is/are the advantages is what I'm asking?

Quote Originally Posted by Trapy70 View Post
    Keep your eyes open for a Weatherby Athena on gunbroker. Very nice gun.

Weatherby recently released the SA-08 in 28 gauge too. I've never shot it in 28 gauge, but I have the 20 gauge and the thing is awesome.

Probably one of the best "value" semi shotguns, up there with the Mossberg 930 (which is 12 gauge).
    Last edited by BenedictGomez; 07-04-2014 at 06:49 PM.

Member #
    if I was looking for another 28 ga this would be the one and I think it is fair priced AYA double barrel SxS shotgun 28 ga 26" NICE 4-A : Side By Side Shotguns at GunBroker.com

Member #
    I agree with Smitty and Bucksnbows. If you're going to get one, go for something elegant like an Arrieta, Grulla, Renato Gamba, or AYA. Or maybe find a classic old American double like a Parker or Fox. You can still order a new Parker in 28 ga. if you want.
    The Parker Gun - ParkerGunMakers.com

CSMC's RBL's are floating around still and can be had. Same can be said for their small-frame M21 or A.H. Fox which they will happily build you any way you want.

Get one made for upland gunning, so that it's light and easy to carry. The 28 ga. is just right provided less than 6 lbs. of walnut and steel are wrapped around it.
    Bucksnbows and Lou like this.
    If only Jack O'Connor had written about the .270's effectiveness on Zombies, he might be known today as a decent gun scribe, and that cartridge might enjoy more widespread use...

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    What's the point of 28 gauge? Not flaming/criticizing, but generally interested in hearing opinions.

I mean, if they give you a "handicap" for using one, that suggests to me a 20 gauge, etc... is more efficient/better at hitting. What is/are the advantages is what I'm asking?
    "Size format" combined with "efficiency" would be the 28's endearing qualities.

The same argument could be made for every other gauge within reason (right weight and right payload,) but the 28 seems to have a special quality.

And if there were more gunmakers who made them, the 24 gauge just might be the be-all and end-all for a sub-20 gauge shotgun.
    Bucksnbows likes this.
    If only Jack O'Connor had written about the .270's effectiveness on Zombies, he might be known today as a decent gun scribe, and that cartridge might enjoy more widespread use...

Lou
    Member #
    Why 28ga,
    Center of paten is center of paten no mater what the gage.
    Low recoil for the second shot.
    1200 fps in a 12ga is no faster then 1200 fpr in 28ga.
    Inside 30 yards the pattern is dense enough to make a clean kill.
    Hunting over pointing dogs your average first shot is inside 10 yards.
    The cover for grouse and woodcock in the NJ is so thick that you will never have a clean shot over 25 yards.
    Most 28ga weight 5lbs. my Benelli weights less then 5lbs. Why is that important. Hunting grouse you must carry in the ready position 100% of the time hunting. If your caring your gun on your shoulder your not hunting.
    You also need a gun that you can carry in one hand with the muzzle up as you move the brush aside with the other hand while your tying to get to your dog on point. Your not doing that safely with a 8lbs 12ga.

Member #
    Adding to the reasons to carry a 28 gauge is that following a good pointing dog through the thick grouse and woodcock covers all day, if you carry a 12 or even a 20, expect your carrying arm to hang about 3" lower than your other arm by season's end

The 28 gauge's pattern is near perfect when you consider choke, bore size and shot size for small game.
    Lou and SxSshooter like this.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsors