New Hunter Seeking Advice
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By shootemandmountem

Thread: New Hunter Seeking Advice

Member #

Post New Hunter Seeking Advice

Hello All,

New Hunter here and looking for some advice. I am taking the Firearm Hunters Ed course on Nov. 10th. Ive done some research for types of firearms and am looking towards the Remington 870. From my understanding the only type of firearms allowed in NJ are muzzleloaders or shotguns (can anyone tell me why?). I like the Remington 870 because it wont break the bank, SEEMS easy to handle and has the ability (with the right choke) to also be used for duck or quail hunts, correct?

I am interested in hunting because I wish to procure my own fresh meat. I am an Eagle Scout and love the outdoors. I had my first catch, cook clean experience with trout last spring and found it rewarding. I am going trout fishing this weekend to leverage fall stocking.
    As a new guy Im not interested in your honey hole or your secret hunting tree, I want to be respectful! And with time I’ll find my own. Im curious if anyone wants to go to the range sometime and we can talk equipment or hunting in general. Or maybe we can take walk to see to if we can identify signs of deer.

I live in Cherry Hill (near philly) and in January 2020 I am moving to New Brunswick. My goal is experience game hunting (big or small) this winter.
    If I posted in the incorrect thread, please let me know and I'll be sure to rectify.

Thank you!

Dominant Buck shootemandmountem's Avatar
    Member #
    Welcome to the site! Yes, Rem 870 are great guns....I am a 870 junkie and own 4 at this time. You are far from me(Monmouth County)...Do you have a NJFID at this point in time? Center fire rifles are not aloud in NJ because NJ is not a Firearm friendly state at all! Same reason why no CC. Going to tell you now, Big Game (DEER)property in NJ is hard to find private property. You will need to start looking at public land in your area....and you are very late getting started. Send a PM if you want with questions. Good luck on your test!
    RPK0620 and KevFishHuntEat like this.

Member #
    great to hear 870 is recommneded. Yes I do own my NJFID. Have been for over a year now.

i travel around month county everyday for work. I commute to New Brunswick. rough drive!

Perhaps its late for big game. would it be considered late for small game? squirrel, rabbits?

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Dominant Buck shootemandmountem's Avatar
    Member #
    Birds and small game you are good to go....seasons are opening soon. Can Deer hunt as well....just late trying to get set up, still can do

Member #
    congratulations!
    make sure to get the NJFID; that will be good for long guns.
    See about also getting the fish wildlife rifle permit; that will be needed if you go to muzzleloader or 22 rifle.
    there is now a small window for center fire rifles in coyote/fox season .25 caliber or smaller.
    I understand the 870 can have a number of barrels from smooth to slug barrels. Personally, I find the slugs very expensive and muzzleloader better for deer hunting.
    for deer hunting there are now many local municipal open space deer management programs. they usually are available July/August time frame for permit applications.
    Join the Federation of sportsmen; they have insurance coverage at $40 per year good any hunting trip. local or out of state.
    I'm near the Clinton wildlife area and shooting range; PM me if you want to get together.

Sponsors