Help getting first shotgun
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Help getting first shotgun

Member #

Help getting first shotgun

I'm planning to get my first firearm after using a friend's for 2 turkey hunts, and wanted to look for a shotgun to use for duck, turkey and deer. I'm researching on my own but wanted to see if there's a specific gauge, length or model I should focus on more than others. I appreciate any insight I can get and I'm excited to start hunting on my own.

Thanks!

Member #
    12 gauge
    OutdoorRob likes this.

Member #
    I am and have been partial to the mossberg 500. I have 12 and 20g. Lovem
    OutdoorRob likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    You can't go wrong with either a Remington 870 or a Moss Berg 500 in (3") 12 gauge. If you want a little more bang a Moss Berg 835 Ulti Mag
    or Remington 870 12 gauge in 3 1/2"
    OutdoorRob and slayer1962 like this.

Member #
    12 gauge will do all that you mentioned.

Duck, Turkey, and Deer? A semi-auto or pump action shotgun will do all three.

Get something that has interchangeable choke tubes and you can adjust the pattern from something wider for flying ducks to something really tight for turkey.

Deer makes it a little more complicated (if you're trying to do all three with one gun). If you are comfortable with buckshot for deer, one gun will do it all. If you prefer slugs (I think most hunters do), you will need to purchase a slug barrel. You can use the normal smooth bore barrel if you use rifled slugs but NJ requires iron sights or a scope if you hunt with slugs. The barrel with a bead sight for duck and turkey won't be legal for hunting deer with slugs.

There are several guns that everybody seems to own that would work and I won't try to push you toward one specific model but...There is a Mossberg 500 pump model that comes with two barrels. The first barrel is smooth-bore, takes choke tubes, and has a bead sight - perfect for duck and turkey. The second barrel is rifled for slugs and comes with a scope mount - perfect for deer.

There are surely other manufacturers that offer something similar.
    OutdoorRob likes this.
    -Ryan

Member #
    Is there any disadvantage to going with the 12g over the 20?

Member #
    Thanks a lot Ryan, that's definitely very helpful. I didn't want to break the bank getting multiple firearms initially, so finding a multi-purpose shotgun seemed useful. I'll keep researching but the Mossberg 500 seems to be the top preference.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorRob View Post
    Is there any disadvantage to going with the 12g over the 20?
    The advantage of a 12 gauge is power. But, the older I get, the less impressed I am with power. Lots of deer are taken on 20 gauges each year. In fact, a good 20 gauge slug gun will take a deer at a long distance. Turkey will certainly succumb to a 20 gauge. The only real advantage I see of the 12 gauge is ducks. A 12 gauge lets you take a longer shot. But the advantage is small.

The big advantage of the 20 gauge is that it won't wallop your shoulder as badly as a 12ga.

Again, no right or wrong answer with either.
    OutdoorRob likes this.
    -Ryan

Member #
    Okay, thanks that's what I figured. I also shoot left handed, so for the Mossberg models is it really much of an inconvenience to use a right-handed shotgun?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorRob View Post
    Okay, thanks that's what I figured. I also shoot left handed, so for the Mossberg models is it really much of an inconvenience to use a right-handed shotgun?
    Ithica is the brand that is famous for ejecting shells out of the bottom of the gun instead of the side. A pump Ithica shotgun is going to work perfectly left or right handed. You can even flip the push button safety over to operate it with your right (or wrong) trigger hand. A friend of mine is a lefty and I hate his shotgun. Whenever I shoot it, in instinctively push the button the wrong way and turn the safety ON just before I pull the trigger. No bang. Ithica guns are a little pricey but allow a left handed shooter to share guns.

Since most guns eject the shells from the side, a left hander shooting a right hand gun will have shells crossing in front of their face every time a shell is ejected. It's possible to shoot that way but a little annoying.

Mossberg makes a left handed field/deer combo gun. https://www.mossberg.com/product/500...r-combo-59814/ The price given is MSRO, you can probably do better at the dealer. In fact, this will be a special order gun. Nobody is going to stock this specific model. That means you can easily compare prices since somebody needs to order it for you anyway. I'd call my favorite 3 gun shops and ask what their price would be on this model including all shipping and fees.

I briefly searched for a Remington 870 with 2 barrels in left hand and came up empty but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
    OutdoorRob likes this.
    -Ryan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsors