Im considering a .22 rifle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Im considering a .22 rifle

Member #

Im considering a .22 rifle

Has the post says I'm considering a .22 rifle but I'm unsure of a bolt/single shot or lever action. What would be the merits of either of these especially on a trap line has this is my first time trapping. I am familiar with all the actions and partial to bolt action. Do you have any models or manufacturers that you suggest or you warn against. Henry and Marlin and Winchester are 3 manufacturers I am currently looking at but open to other suggestions . Thank you for all replies.

Member #
    some random thoughts:
    • THE standard American .22 rifle is the Ruger 10/22. Everybody owns one and there are hundreds of aftermarket accessories. Probably the most popular .22 in America.
    • Savage has a reputation for exceptionally accurate rifles at a reasonable cost. I own a couple of Savage bolt actions in calibers other than .22 and have always been pleased with them.
    • I prefer semi-autos over bolts, levers, or single shot. In a .22 semi-autos are reasonably priced.
    • Levers are more expensive. Very nice, but expensive.
    • Bolt actions are available for a low price at good quality but I still prefer semi-autos. I like bolt actions for guns where accuracy counts. The effective range of .22s is so limited that accuracy isn't the most important factor to me.
    • All of the major manufacturers make pretty good stuff. I would be comfortable with any of the manufacturer's you mentioned.
    ottercreeks likes this.
    -Ryan

Member #
    If you want a really nice .22 for a reasonable price get yourself a Henry. I own over 20 .22’s and my very favorite is my Henry. Nice and short. Easy to carry. Fun and very accurate to shoot. You will not be sorry.
    mightyhunter and Marine1 like this.
    NRA Life Member
    FoxPro Staff
    Crimson Talon Broadheads Staff
    Black Widow Deer Lures Staff
    Liquid Ghost Staff
    Ugly Buck Staff

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Many trappers use .22 shorts or other low powered rounds which may give an autoloader some problems. I can see no advantage in using an auto for trapping. I like a short barrel length, handy weight and not too pretty finish because trapping can get your gun a lot messier than a day at the range.

A good used bolt action would be a good tool. In any other state I'd carry a revolver.
    Last edited by Headin South; 10-28-2017 at 07:55 AM.
    Rem Mag and ChenCaerulescens like this.

Member #
    As stated above. A lever action henry is my favorite. I actually have a Sussex county edition henry. #22 out of 500 , my dad got it for me on my 22nd bday. Its engraved with hp monument, the delaware etc. Gorgoeus. That one lives in safe. The other is for plinking
    You can do a lot more for the environment by carrying a rifle then carrying a sign.

[B]Don't Spread My Wealth, Spread My Work Ethic

Member #
    Basically, a plain jane Henry will do just fine for a trapline.
    I would only buy a bolt gun if I were to put a scope on it, but that's not needed or wanted for trapping. A semi-auto will give you fits when using .22 shorts.

Member #
    For a dedicated trapping rifle consider...Crickett Synthetic Stock | Keystone Sporting Arms, LLC
    Rem Mag, ottercreeks and stanton44 like this.

Member #
    The Henry lever is a really nice rifle....I have one and am happy with it.....but as you stated you would like to use it for trapping....it might get a little more of a beating, muddy, etc and a bolt might be better option.....the cricket Mikec suggested might be a great choice if it will be dedicated to trap line..
    stanton44 likes this.

Member #
    Another vote for the Henry, but you could save some money and carry weight and get a cricket.
    stanton44 likes this.

Member #
    I think I have narrowed down the selection to a Henry carbine and a cricket 722 I think is the model (cocks on bolt open). Thank yous for the quick response and suggestions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors