New Jersey Hunters banner

mostly white skunk. help needed

12K views 60 replies 30 participants last post by  kriegerj89 
#1 ·
Badger Fictional character Tail
Wildlife Adaptation Grass Plant
taking my course this year and want to catch this guy and get it tanned. any tips on getting this guy without getting sprayed or having him spray everywhere while in a snare? Im gonna send it to snare one to get done. Do they do good work?

See less See more
#3 ·
Leave him alone, why would you want to kill an unusual animal that is not causing any harm.

#13 · (Edited)
I do hunt, fish and trap, I eat what I hunt and fish and trap with a license to sell the fur, An almost white skunk is very unusual if you have a trapping license and are taking it for the fur go for it.

#9 ·
The gland is not an air bag or something, don't think there will be any pressure involved. I've head shot skunks before and not had them spray. IMO taking them by surprise or while relaxed is key. I am by no means an expert and have never skinned one so I'd wait for some more experienced guys to respond.

#12 · (Edited)
I am sorry I did not see the rest of your post at the bottom of the second picture and did not realize you wanted to trap it for the skin, as long as it is done legally I am OK with that I thought you where just getting rid of it because it was in your corn.

#15 ·
had a skunk in the yard a few years ago. It was daylight and it wasnt acting right. After a few hrs the Mrs called animal control. the guy walked right up to it, threw a towel over it and picked it up and put it in a bucket, slapped a lid with holes on top and walked away. it was done in minutes. If I had to do it now, I would probably get one of those cheap tyvek jumpsuits and a face shield and dive in. if he sprays, shed the outer layer as soon as possible and hope for the least damage possible

#16 · (Edited)
If you have no clue what you are doing if/when you get licensed, get help for the following reasons:
-Forget about the syringes, you are in NJ
-If you don't know how to pelt an animal properly, you will ruin it
-You cut that scent gland while skinning and you will be very, very, sorry
-Do not take a resource and let it go to waste

I am not passing judgement, I am giving you practical advice from hands on experience. Done tons of skunks and still get lit up from time to time. Cost of doing business sometimes from Nov 15-March 15

#19 ·
Hey.... isn't that Bambi's friend, Flower... Shame On You Big Meanies [ko]

#20 ·
Ive cased and fleshed animals when I was younger I used to go with my godfather just never a skunk. If I have trouble I could always take it to him but hes an hour away and I want to do it myself. So it wont go to waste im just looking for a little advice or guidance from people who have done a lot of skunks. Theres not many videos on youtube on how to do it I only found 4 or 5

#23 ·
I dont want him to move on thats why I said I want to get him tanned. I dont understand why people just cant give advice thats all I asked. Is that so difficult? thought trappers and hunters are trying to keep their hobby alive. From this I can see why no one does it anymore cause when someone asks a question all they get is more answers from rude and sarcastic people then from someone who wants to help. And when they eventually outlaw trapping which will eventually happen in jersey like they did the footholds youll be asking why there was no support for it.

#27 ·
im not going to be a smarta$$ with you lik i am with a lot of members but you know all this^^^^^ but can take a skunk out... get a cage trap bait it - catch it throw a tarp or something over it so you wont get sprayed then drown him if you dont have a gun[up]... by the way im not a trapper so their could be a better way

#55 · (Edited)
well I have caught a few skunks in my day and this is the biggest bunch of bunk that I have heard. The tail does not have to be up for the skunk to spray. I have been hit by skunks that just moved the back end sideways. also I have had skunks spray under a trap, matter fact had one do it last week. and here is the good Question? How do you shoot a skunk under the tarp when you can't see it and it not spray . heart and lung shot is the least chance of no spray if done right, you have to see the skunk to do that. also if the skunk sprays under the tarp you still stink.

#29 ·
I've had success using a have a heart trap. Get a large plastic garbage bag and set the trap inside the bag with the open end of cage positioned at the open end of garbage bag. Once its trapped, walk up slowly from behind and pull the bag over entire trap and seal shut. Allow trap to sit for a few minutes. Then carefully load trap into truck and relocate skunk. When releasing slowly open bag to get to end of cage and slowly open cage and prop cage door open with stick. Obviously from behind the bag. Then walk away and skunk will waddle out. I've done this 5 times without any spraying. Easy. Key is to go slow.

Reactions: REALTREE83
#31 ·
Yes you did rgw and I appreciate that a few good people did. but you look through a lot of posts including this one its mostly sarcastic answers or someone yelling at the person asking to go look it up somewhere else. Without the new guys this sport would fade away people dont understand that.

#32 ·
a little off topic but if you are just getting your license and want to skip a huge learing curve and become successful right off the bat contact newt and take his 2 day course. you actually run his trap line and learn every thing from building snares to setting to fur prep. it will be the best money you ever spent if you are serious about trapping

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.