New Jersey Hunters banner

Welcome to the site! Please post an introduction thread.

154K views 484 replies 383 participants last post by  longbow 
#1 ·
NewJerseyHunter.com is a friendly community dedicated to New Jersey Hunting.

Our goal is to be the place to go to for everything New Jersey hunting.

To keep the place friendly, we ask that every new member post up an introduction thread letting us know a little bit about themselves.

Please help us keep this site friendly and informative! Thanks in advance. :)

#2 ·
I'm a recently retired lifelong resident of NJ and I have been shooting since I was a kid in the Boy Scouts. In the Scouts, we would shoot 'clay pidgeons' using .22 birdshot...it was very hard to hit anything, though. We would also take our .22's out in the woods and 'plink' cans and bottles. No one thought anything of it...some days we would go bowling or shoot baskets...some days we would go shooting in the woods. Shooting was viewed like any other sport. A kid usually got his first .22 at around 12 years old and most kids in our neighborhood had BB guns or Pellet Guns before that. I mean, for God's sake, our parents bought them for us and we walked around the neighborhood with them! One of the neighborhood kid's father was a cop and he never gave it a thought that we (including his son)had .22's, BB Guns and Pellet Guns...when did this country start losing its collective mind about guns!? We had a blast with our guns (pun intended)! I now live in one of the wooded areas where I used to shoot my .22. The area was all woods back then and people would go deer hunting there. There were still some ancient deer stands in the woods when my wife and I went to choose our building lot more than 20 years ago. Well, I'm glad that I lived during the time that I did. It was wonderful growing up in the 50's and early 60's...none of this 'PC' crap. What a great time...freedom meant everything to Americans and the Constitution and the Bill-of-Rights ruled the day. Now, our freedoms are being taken away and the Constitution and the Bill-of-Rights are being ignored at the convenience of "the great usurper". Good help us all!

#5 ·
I wanted to post a new thread, but Im not sure how.. :(

Checkin in from the deep south. Thats right, South Jersey. :p

Always had an interest in guns, shooting and hunting but never acted on it. Just applied for my FID card. Now the wait begins.

Id like to start hunting as well since at the moment, there are about 20 turkeys living in my back yard and boy do they look tasty! :p

#6 · (Edited)
Well welcome to the sight deerpark,you drink that stuff[water]lol anyway saw you surfin nice of you to saw howdy,I can relate,I,m new to this too.The mods must be sleepin they have been workin hard lately!To put up your own tread click forums,scroll down click general comments and info.under new jersey hunting you'll see post new thread top left,someone might tell us a faster way and i welcome that I'm still learning your not alone great sight for good info,see ya around enjoy! ps oh are you gonna get like you hit the lottery,friends you didn't know you had,[20 turkey's in yer backyard] LOL

Reactions: Odepro
#10 ·
Deer Park, Poland Spring, I'll drink it all! :) As for New Jersey tap...

Ahh gotcha. Thanks for the info.

Something is definitely up. There was literally a posse of turkeys living here for the longest time, maybe 2 years? All of a sudden, they took off.

I think they got word that I joined the NJ hunter forums...

#7 · (Edited)
I was born and raised here in NJ. Even went to college here in NJ. I live in Morris County near Lincoln Park. I own a pest control business since 1995. My wife was also born and raised in NJ as well. I have been hunting in this state for 36 years and have three children. My youngest son loves hunting and has already shot 4 bucks and three does, all with his muzzleloader. He loves duck hunting and shot two ducks last year and he is only 11 years of age. My daughter is involved in dance and my oldest son hunts whenever he feels like it and is leaving this August to go into the Marines. I also coach wrestling and baseball for our town's recreation program.

#8 · (Edited)
Dyed in the wool dedicated hunter, trapper, fisherman and conservationest. Only try to leave foot prints behind when I leave the wild places I traverse daily here in down Jersey. Love to watch nature year round, feed the birds and enjoy the gifts our creator bestowed upon us as sportsmen. Always willing to help a friend, neighbor, and those in need. Not one to get caught up in mindless banter. My time is better spent cleaning my guns, rods and being outdoors with my much beloved family. Have an ear tuned to preserving not only mine but every americans rights. Fought a no win war in South-East Asia, lost many a good friend for a cause we didn't believe in -but I did my part as an american. I am truly blessed to live where I do and proud to call myself a citizen of this Nation of We The People and the State of New Jersey.

In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.

Theodore Roosevelt

Reactions: BlueMax
#9 ·
Never had a formal intro here it goes. Im a vol firefighter and an Operating engineer Ive always had a love for any sort of freshwater fishing (epsecially lmb) from my father. He never hunted but my uncle from Ga. came up when I was 17 and got me into hunting seeing that I loved the outdoors already and now Ive been chasing deer and turkey since then along w/ my already establish bass fixation. I am also a mud mopar freak. I have owned 3 Dodge trucks and currently have a 2012 Ram and a 94 jeep xj that I love beating around on the trails (no dont ask me even off roaders do not destroy habitat my club and many other clubs I know often have trail clean ups and even when wheeling places that "do not allow motorized vehicles" we never leave garbage behind or beat ahead and make new trails. We only wheel already establish fire trails/logging trails etc. the only thing we leave behind are tire imprints.)

#13 ·
Hey everyone,

My names Dave, I'm from Hammonton. I was active duty Marines for 4 years, fell in love shooting during that time. Got out in 2010, and moved back home to NJ. I haven't gotten my hunting license yet, (since I don't have any weapons that I could legally hunt with yet) but I plan on doing that hopefully before next season opens. I mainly joined up since from what I can see, this forum is packed with knowledgable gun aficionados that I'm sure can teach me a thing or two.

#18 · (Edited)
My name is Paul Ross, hence the rossbowhunter, been hunting and fishing my entire life, I live in Bloomsbury, NJ where I can hunt and fish basically in my back-yard. I am a member of a hunting club in W.V. as well, we have a cabin on 25 acres and have a deed to hunt club property which is pretty vast. I am married and have two super kids, one is going into college and one is going into high school. My parents live by the sea in NJ and Fl. So I get to fish a lot in the ocean. I am systems support for a smallish manufacturing company. Just wanted to introduce myself, and if you ever need help with anything, let me know. God bless.

BTW I am not new either, but for the newest new guys, nice to meet you.

#19 ·
Quickly approaching that big 50 number and learning the fine art of hunting is on my bucket list. I've had several firearms from my early 20's and have enjoyed target practice in the past. Taking my hunters safety course in Morris County April. Passed the online course. Ready to slowly get out there with a 50 cal muzzle loader and have a great day in the woods with some brothers. Not looking to anniliate the deer population, in fact just happy to spend the day out there. If I am able to harvest a deer then thank God for the bounty. NRA member. Politically independant. (which means I hate both parties - we need a 3rd). I promise not to bring my bagpipes on the hunt. Scare those varmints away...cheers.

#24 ·
Hi all, Dave from JerseyTines.com | For NJ Hunters, By NJ Hunters. Located in Bergen county and a big time outdoorsman... Always visited the site so after starting a photo site of my own decided to jump into this one to get to know some people. Get back to me with any questions!

#28 ·
What's up guys? I'm new here and unsure how to use the forum. First off, I'm a Jersey boy, born and raised. Love being outdoors. Growing up I did a lot of hunting, mostly on private land. Over the years slowly lost my properties and eventually lost interest in hunting. I have, however, over the last few years gotten back into it and with the help of my new crossbow, killed my share of deer last season. As much as I've realized that hunting was a huge part of my life and I've missed it, there's no better feeling than helping a friend or family member harvest an animal. Hope to spend many more years in the woods and to meet good people doing it.

#29 ·
Just joined the sight. Born and raised in South Jersey. Dad hunted deer and trapped rats. Now happily married to a hunter (of anything that can be legally hunted), trapper and fisherman (freshwater and saltwater). We have been together 25 years and have two teenage boys, both of which have the same passion for hunting, fishing, and trapping as their dad. I work in an office at a desk behind this screen, but would much rather be outside (except when it's really really cold out). WE get a lot of great quality family time with these activities. The boys most times would rather spend time with us than haning out with friends. :)

#30 ·
Born and raised in Medford, NJ. I am a die hard fisherman, fresh and salt. I have grown up with a love for the outdoors and just recently decided to get into hunting. I plan on a lot of waterfowl and upland hunts. I have a 5 month old Vizsla with excellent pedigree in the process of becoming my upland companion. I joined this site to expand my knowledge of the sport and hopefully get a few pointers on the way. I am excited to scout new areas and enjoy the process of trial and error that is hunting. I hope to learn from ya'll as much as possible before the 13/14 season!

#32 ·
Hi everyone,

New member so thought id check in - Grew up in Mt. Laurel, NJ fishing and hiking with my grandfather which created my long lasting love affair with the outdoors. I've since gotten married and have a 2 year old little girl, with a second girl set to arrive anyday now. Looking forward to passing the love of being in the woods down to them, and trying to pick up as much as I can so I hopefully have something worth sharing. I just recently started hunting (deer and turkey so far). Never hunted growing up, but grew an interest out of a desire to have a closer relationship with the food I feed my family, not to mention another good reason to get outside. Dont know many folks in the NJ hunting community, so really hoping to meet some people and find some places, tips, guidance etc to hunt waterfowl, upland birds, bear, and any other opportunity that comes up. Still love to fish as well, but spend more of my time fishing the surf then freshwater. I also try getting out to the range whenever possible, mostly handguns (Ruger SR9 and Springfield Armory 1911) and starting a little skeet here and there. Also love good beer and/or wine, and good food with friends. I've recently been working on learning how to make various kinds of charcuterie with some respectable success, so may be able to contribute some thoughts there. Also a proud member of the NRA and TRCP.

Looking forward to talking with everyone!
Mike

#33 ·
Hello fellow NJ sportsmen!
My names Joe, Skipweston is my online alias. I stumbled upon these forums as I was searching for others that have been having issues with their NICS checks being delayed and decided to join. I have been hunting since I was 11 years old, recently married and bought a nice house in the country. Previously I had always used my fathers guns to hunt but now I need a shotgun to protect my home and get back to my love of hunting in the great outdoors.

Looking forward to sharing hunting stories and searching for some hunting/fishing advise with the members of this forum!

Cheers friends! May our constitutional rights be no longer fringed upon in the near future.. not holding my breath on that one. [wallmad]