I want to hunt my parents on the other hand
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: I want to hunt my parents on the other hand

Member #

I want to hunt my parents on the other hand

I've always been the outdoors man in my family im 16 and want to hunt duck and deer my parents don't like the idea of hunting for some reason. any tips or advice or should I just wait the 2 years in till im 18

Super Moderator Zone9DeerSlayer's Avatar
    Member #
    If they don't approve its probably something you should wait until your of age to get into. Pretty difficult for a 16 year old to do without an adult of 21 mentoring you. Cant buy a firearm until your 21, don't think you can purchase a bow till 18. So if mom and dad say no then your beat till your old enough to make your own decision about it.

Sent using Tapatalk 2
    NRA Life Member, NJ2AS Member, RTSP Range Member, Sussex County Federation Of Sportsmen's Clubs Recording Secretary, Knee Deep Club Member

Member #
    I would find a responsible friend or relative to act as a mentor and have them sit down with and explain the sport to your parents. I'm sure your parents dislike is due to either misinformation or perhaps no information. Hunting is one of the safest sports on record. I'm sure they would rather have you in the woods in a tree stand at 5am as opposed to coming home drunk with your friends at 5am. Good Luck I hope it works out for you. I was in the same boat as a kid my dad didn't hunt and my mom was dead set against guns but a responsible mentor educated them and changed it all for me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Until you're out the house its your folks rules. Its 2013 so let them act they still can be parents besides what the schools/government says

Member #
    If you have no experience hunting, it would be a great adea to find an ethical experienced hunter as a mentor that wouldn't mind you tagging along on his hunts if your parents are ok with it. This would give you a huge advantage so that when you are older you would be more comfortable to hunt on your own. And you would already have a hunting buddy to help with the dragging!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by BruinupaCup View Post
    I'm sure they would rather have you in the woods in a tree stand at 5am as opposed to coming home drunk with your friends at 5am.

I was in the same boat as a kid my dad didn't hunt and my mom was dead set against guns
    I was in exactly the same situation as a kid and it wasn't able to get started until much later in life...

but a responsible mentor educated them and changed it all for me.
    I wish I had a mentor who could have done that
    "Its not the size of the trophy, it's the size of the experience"

A Hunter's prayer: "We pray our sights be straight and our aim be true, we pray for no pain to the game we persue, we thank you Lord for this Land, we thank you for the sights from our stands, we pray for safety one and all, we pray we may return next Fall."

NRA, NJSFSC, ANJRPC, UBNJ & NTWF Member
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    Citizens Rifle and Revolver Club, Wa-xo-be Archers & Range 14

BHC
    Member #
    I agree with others on here parents rule is #1, until you move out respect their rules, also take this time to ask questions, read up on hunting and equipment etc., when your ready to hunt you will be ahead of the game on some fronts

Member #
    Finding a mentor is only half the solution. Finding a mentor that your parents will trust and listen to is a whole other issue. You are not going to be able to say "hey Mom and Dad I met this guy online and he's going to teach me to hunt." Maybe there's a way through boyscouts or some other similar organization.

Member #
    Its unfortunate your parents are passing up the opportunity to teach someone your age about the rewards of hard work, patience, self motivation, endurance, and self reliance.

Here is another option. Buy yourself a climber, safety harness, some hunting cloths, AND A CAMERA. Go camera hunting for a couple years. Nothing illegal about that, you can do it year round, you learn all about deer behavior, and when you CAN go hunting by yourself you will be schooled. I know it sounds kinda lame but trust me when you are in a stand it doesnt matter if you are shooting at them with a bow or a camera you'll be super excited. It's a rush to get deer to come in so close and be completely fooled.

Actually shooting the deer is like 5% of "hunting".
    United we stand, Divided we fall.

Member #
    PS don't give up on it... its an awesome experience. You'll meet so many great people along the way, meat so many great tasting animals along the way too!
    United we stand, Divided we fall.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsors