Big Public Land Buck
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By fish_hunter
  • 2 Post By BCR85

Thread: Big Public Land Buck

Member #

Big Public Land Buck

OK Guys,

I've been monitoring a primary scrape area since the opening of early bow on some state land. The scrapes are torn up everyday and are located on the edge of some perimeter cover. The perimeter cover forms a funnel which parallels a creek. The wind seems to steadily blow down through the funnel along the edge. I've set up in there several times towards pre-rut. I've hunted dark to dark without any deer moving through. I set up a trail cam just to see what kind of bucks have been passing and there are a total of 6. 2 of shootable; one is a 130" main frame 10 with a busted g3. This buck clearly has been hunted before and is extremely nocturnal. The only 2 shots I have of him were at 2:30 am respectively. The younger smaller 8 I've seen at first light. My question is this: The wind seems to always be blowing down into the funnel, but this buck is traveling with his back to the wind. I'm sure he's checking his backtrail. The wind is steadily blowing from the west. What are some recs to getting on the fella? Last shot I have of him was 10/28. Also, the majority of the does and younger bucks all seem to be traveling through the funnel with their noses in the wind. So east to west as opposed to big boy west to east.

Thanks

I'm happy to post some pics if I can figure this thing out.

Member #
    Just because you’re getting only nighttime pics of a certain deer does not mean he is nocturnal. He may be traveling a long way to get to your area or just may be passing through occasionally. You need to find his core area by which I mean is where he spends the majority of his time. This time of year is tough to figure that out as if he is not already cruising all day he will be shortly. Hunting the rut is a lot of being in the right place at the right time. It’s much easier to pattern a bigger deer early season and late season when food gets lean. I have had great luck hunting deer during the late season when a front is approaching as you may get lucky and catch him on his feet during shooting light. If you are hunting a creek bottom, which it sounds like you are I would be sitting that creek all day long and try to push as close to known bedding areas as much as you can. Look for crossings where they are crossing the creek as they are usually a great place to set up.
    tcook8296 likes this.

Member #
    i would wait for the wind to be right for you and hit it then, and only then; or your just burning that spot out. just cause you dont see deer busting you doesn't mean they aren't. sounds like you have a good spot, be patient.Dont be afraid to sit on the ground sometimes being elevated broadcasts your scent a lot more because of the hot and cold air especially this time of year good luck

this time of year

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    thanks guys! good advice all around. The prevailing wind is always blows from the northwest. Before I realized how big this buck really was, I headed along the creek in the opposite direction of them funnel; trying to find some additional sign but it was all open timber. I figured he had crossed the creek or was just bedded locally. Either way, he hasn't gotten this big by being stupid. I've given some thought to hunting further downwind or on the opposite side of the creek so my scent would blow parallel to him.
    NorthJerseyMike and GUTPILE68 like this.

Member #
    Look for a trail that parallels the creek and intersects with a trail crossing the creek. The more intersecting trails the better. Sit and wait. Hopefully a doe brings him in. He will be on his feet chasing.

Member #
    Deer are NOT nocturnal.... Hunters make them that way with bait piles...
    Get rid of the bait if you are using it. Bucks are on their feet right now. Hunt the sign... If there are scrapes, refreshen them. Bucks are checking them all day and night when not chasing a doe...
    Big bucks don't just totally let their guard down during the rut. They are still sensitive to human pressure. Carry a grunt tube. Use it when its dead.

Member #
    ^agreed

Member #
    I posted this in Bait Free.

Sponsors