Scouting value? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Scouting value?

Member #
    Deer are like fish, they will follow terrain contours, look for feeding areas near to bedding areas, easier to do if there are crop fields near by, big woods with little or no agriculture can be tough, oaks of different types drop at different times, now is when tree identification comes in, there are many types of oaks, reds, whites and variations of them, deer will gravitate towards whites, they are sweeter with less tanic acid and higher in fat and protein, there are a wide variety of white oaks, but the classic white oak has a smooth soft bark with leaves that look like fingers with rounded tips, mountain or chestnut oaks have a leaf that is oval in shape with a saw tooth pattern on the edges, they drop huge acorns, and IMO the number two deer favorite! Red oak acorns will be picked up last, after they sit for a while and lose the tannic acid that makes them bitter.

in cases of big woods hunting, constant in season scouting is nessisary to keep track of deer, what looks good now will last only a few days before they move on to better feeding, in big woods it's all about food!
    Hunt with a Vizsla, Cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog!

Member #
    turds, and terrain you can slip in and out of easy without alerting deer. no turds no deer
    Billy Z likes this.
    NO JOB IS SO URGENT,AND NO SERVICE IS SO IMPORTANT, THAT WE CANNOT TAKE OVERTIME TO PREFORM OUR TASK SAFELY.

Member #
    Most important deer sign for me would be bedding areas. If I can locate doe and even a bucks bedding area I can unravel all from there.
    GhostBear and braveheart like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Sounds like a lot of scouting value right here.
    Billy Z likes this.

Member #
    Or you can always just put bait down and have the deer find you.....the only problem is that soo will everybody else....

Member #
    Scouting on public land is like hanging out in the treestand section of a sporting goods store, lol, it gives you an idea where your neighbors are, lol! Deer are creatures of habit, after the pressure lets up, they return to what they know! Good luck!
    " I Live to Hunt , I Hunt to Live , Just Hunt ! "

Member #
    Bed, food source and the trail in between.
    During the chase phase of the rut bottlenecks and pinch points.
    Even better, a pinch point in between food and bedding.
    Rubs let you know somewhat what caliber bucks you are hunting and only tell you where they have been. I also like to to look for multiple trails that intersect kind like a hub on a spoked wheel.
    Also where several different terrain features meet up with each other
    Last edited by tcook8296; 03-14-2015 at 12:01 PM.
    Sotaroas and Billy Z like this.

Member #
    During the 2nd rut, my farm in the midwest has taught me to be on the food source. The biggest bucks I get on trail cams are around the 2nd week of December, the bucks are chasing the fawns which are in the food plots feeding with their moms. You also forgot to mention trail cams as part of your scouting. I think trail cams can tell you more than any rub,print or turd. Some of my cameras, once they go out, they never come home. The camera is by far the most important piece of scouting, allows you to leave areas undisturbed for long periods of time, provides the most valuable real time information and they scout for me day and night 365 days a year. I am assuming you are scouting for killing a buck if you are looking for rubs and scrapes. If you are looking for does, just find the local food source and set up in the early afternoon. Don't need to scout much for that
    Last edited by tcook8296; 03-14-2015 at 12:30 PM.

Member #
    Old rub lines are the most solid indicators of where bucks will be year after year. Old Single rubs and clusters don't tell you much but an old rub line will become a new rub line the following fall. This is the absolute best time to scout for whitetails.
    No matter what happens, whether you succeed or not, if you stand up and do it right and pay attention, hunting will always give you what you need. It may not be what you were looking for, but it will absolutely be important enough to justify whatever you did to get it.ā€¯
    Edison Marshall

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ember View Post
    Most important deer sign for me would be bedding areas. If I can locate doe and even a bucks bedding area I can unravel all from there.
    Do the deer tend to use the same bedding site all year?
    Live Action!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsors