New Jersey Hunters banner

home made buck jam.

16K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  bwd172 
#1 ·
so I work for a flavor manufacturer. So I have natural and artificial flavors. So I decided to try and make some molasses buck jam. I used corn syrup then some real molasses mixed together then added some brown sugar mixed it then added some maple syrup and mixed. Its real thick and sticky. I'm gonna pour on a stump away from stand and see what happens. ..... your thoughts?

#10 ·
henro nailed it , i hoe you dont live up by me, i see bear everytime i hunt and thats just the way it is, that would be the icing on the cake haha but if no bear problems by u experiment, good luck!

#13 ·
I found this:

Okay - Here's a deer lick brew that I use and it has worked great. I put several of these out - some near the feeder, others on paths that lead to the feeder or cross my property elsewhere. The deer love these deer licks - although technically I guess they're not licks since I pour the liquid directly on the ground, anyway here's my free Deer Lick Recipe:

This makes 5 gallons-
5 Gallon bucket
Boil about 3 gallons of water - Boiling water will dissolve more of the ingredients
6 lbs Iodized salt
2 cups Baking Soda
1.5 Cups Baking Powder
18 oz. Molasses
Potassium Gluconate (20 - 500mg Tablets)
Magnesium (10 - 250mg Tablets)

Add more water to fill the bucket (about another 2 gallons)

Clear about a 2ft. patch of ground - minor dirt disturbance to aid absorption.
Slow Siphon the concoction into the disturbed earth (Air Line for Fish Aquariums works great!). Slow siphoning allows deeper penetration and keeps the liquid more concentrated in the desired area. As the liquid cools some of the ingredients may precipitate out of solution - not a problem - pour that stuff right on top of the wet soil

#14 ·
Here's another:

WHITETAIL DEER HOMEMADE MINERAL MIX RECIPE
Ingredients: Makes 200 lbs. for about $23.00

1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $11.00 you need one bag.

2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loos kind without the medications.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $5.00 you need two bags.

1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $2.00 you need one bag.

Directions:

-Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.

-Mix all together well but not until read to use, keep ingredients separate until ready to put to use.

-Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep.

-Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.

Maintenance:

-Replenish in 6 months with fresh supply of mineral, and then each year there after.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.