NewJerseyHunter.com is the premier Hunting Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member #
    I'll probably switch next year if they are legalized. But, I've always wondered- how long can you leave crossbows cocked for? Or do you have to cock it just before you thnink you have a shot? And if no shot, then what??

Thanks to those responding.

Member #
    I've left mine cocked for 4 or more hours. I unload at noon after the morning hunt and then after the evening hunt. Others have done tests and left it cocked 24 hours and it hit the same spot when shot. I'm not doing that but it shows they're pretty tough.
    You know, I don't need to spell it out for you.

Member #
    i believe most manufacturers recommend how long their own brands can be cocked. I know excals can be kept cocked all day with no problems as long as they're not left in a hot car all day. i think it depends on the make. i also read that some brands should be let down after only 4 or 5 hours.
    i love the sound of a crossbow being shot on a fall morning. it sounds like....VICTORY

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    Most just say to Uncock after hunting.

Vague.

I've left one cocked for 24 hrs. with no accuracy or velocity loss. It was to satisfy my curiosity.

Super Moderator
    Sponsors
    Member #
    Do they have to be fired to uncock?
    >>>---> <---<<<

Member #
    Some can be cranked down to uncock others must be fired. Or you have to be physically able to hold the string, flip the anti dry fire device and then pull the trigger all without letting 150# plus slip by you. Not a easy task or for everyone. The Excals can be uncocked with the rope cocker and there is a video out there somewhere on how to do it. Most manufacturers have a method they say is correct. Most don't condone the alternate methods due to obvious liability issues. When in doubt or unsure of your abilities follow what the owners book says.

They have a lot of umph and they can get away from you real quickly. They also can cause injury. They are nothing to play with.
    You know, I don't need to spell it out for you.

Member #
    Thanks much to those responding- I would only leave it cocked for 4hrs at any one sitting, probably less.

But, the ability to leave it cocked while hunting and the ability to de cock without firing are key purchase questions.

Do they tend to fire broadheads better that a bow? Less likely to be in tune? Thanks.

Dave

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    Not much tuning you can do on a CrossBOW.

I switched to Spitfire expandables a few years back, and have nothing but reliable expansion.
    They fly as true as field points, and you can buy practice blades for them.

Member #
    You should check the owners manual on how long they can be cocked. Some do suggest letting the limbs rest after 4 hours. I don't know about you all, but I hunt longer than that. TenPoint's can be cocked all day. We do not suggest you leave them cocked over noght or for longer periods.

The best and SAFEST way to unload any crossbow is to shoot it. Safer for you and for the bow.

WE use the Spitfires and they do well. If you are using a fixed blade head, it is more important that they are tuned because the arrow is shorter and it is easier for the broadhead to take control of the arrow.

Randy

Member #
    If the safest way to release a crossbow is to shoot it, that means you always have to have a shooting target with you.

So, that means that unless you bring a target out into the field with you (along with all the other stuff you need) you would then shoot the crossbow by your vehicle where the target is kept.

Sounds like a problem if your path and vehicle are within 450 ft. of a residence. Also, if you hunt until legal shooting hours, your then in the woods past legal shooting hrs with a cocked xbow.

BTW, I used a spitfire expandable 3 yrs ago because they flew the best, arrow punched through the ribcage- no expansion!.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsors