NewJerseyHunter.com is the premier Hunting Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Non Typical
    Sponsors
    Member #
    Hey Guys,

I picked up an H&R Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe about 2 days ago in 20ga. Haven't shot it yet, but I've been studying the best slugs for it. So far I have come up with the Hornady SST's, Remington Buckhammers, and Winchester Supreme Partition Golds. My question is, all these slugs are great in theory, but which shoot best in this gun (for those who have it, or know of anywhere to find info on slugs for it.)

Also, is there a general database for ballistics for slugs (online)? I have seen info on manufactures websites, but I couldn't find info on the buckhammers. Thanks a lot.

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    GO to the manufaturers web sites and get the ballistics you are looking for. As for wich slug works best, get a good rest and shoot them all. You might be surprised to see how different they might shoot. Good Luck!
    "to all those in harms way, SEMPER FI"

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    slugsRus.com Hastings slugs, up to 3 1/2".. made specifically for the Hastings barrel on the UltraSlugHunter. Good prices, great shipping times, and outstanding slugs.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    Thomas Jefferson, "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776

Member #
    did you get the gun at flynns on 31 in hampton ?
    Team O.A.

Super Moderator
    Sponsors
    Member #
    Hornady SSTs are what I shoot out of mine and I love em. Good luck with it
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference and they deserve a place of honor with all that is good."
    --George Washington

"Individualism has come in for an enormous amount of criticism over the years. It still does. It is widely assumed to be synonymous with selfishness...But the main reason why so many people in power have always disliked individualism is because it is individualists who are ever keenest to prevent the abuse of authority."
    -- Margaret Thatcher

Non Typical
    Sponsors
    Member #
    http://www.newjerseyhunter.com/article28056.htm

Had the same questions when I got mine, read this thread for some ballistics info.

I shot all the slugs I mentioned and ended up with Lightfields. Cheaper than others, shot nice and did not pack a punch.

Typical
    Sponsors
    Member #
    Hornady SSTs are what I shoot out of mine and I love em
    I bought the same gun (20ga too) two years ago for a shotgun hunt in Illinois. I tried the bullets you mentioned along with the Lightfields. After grouping the 4 different "brands" of slugs, the Hornasy SSTs grouped best.

If you belong to the sportsmans guide "club", you can get pretty good prices from them. They sell 5 boxes (25 slugs) for around $50.

Hornady SST Slugs from Sportsman's Guide

Spike
    Sponsors
    Member #
    which shoot best in this gun
    The only way to find out which slug shoots best in YOUR gun is to try different slugs in it and pick the best one. All guns from the same manufacture do not shoot any slug the same way. Each one is different when it comes to slug accuracy. Depending on your preference, pick the group you want to shoot (slow speed, heavy slugs or high velocity lighter ones), buy as many different brands you can get and try them on a range.

Member #
    The only way to find out which slug shoots best in YOUR gun is to try different slugs in it and pick the best one. All guns from the same manufacture do not shoot any slug the same way. Each one is different when it comes to slug accuracy. Depending on your preference, pick the group you want to shoot (slow speed, heavy slugs or high velocity lighter ones), buy as many different brands you can get and try them on a range.
    Shameless Plug Prostaffer

Spike
    Sponsors
    Member #
    Also, is there a general database for ballistics for slugs (online)?
    Here is one, with many of the most popular brands.

Ballistic chart in PDF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors