New Jersey Hunters banner

Bait that doesn't attract bears???

10K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  younghunter94 
#1 ·
Anyone know of good deer bait that won't attract bears also???

#7 ·
i work in the restaurant business and i get lettuce & carrot peels from work.. early in the year i put lettuce & carrot peels down as well i had a pipe feeder filled with corn.. i had bears on trail cam eating corn.. didn't touch the lettuce & carrots? i stopped putting corn out & since then not 1 pic of a bear yet! [up]

#11 ·
I have been baiting for the first time this year and have had LOTS of problems with bears. I been bluff charged twice, and ran into about a dozen bears over the summer and late spring. I can't stand them eating all my bait. And when they hang out a long time, I seriously doubt I'll be able to get any deer back in again till they leave. Same problem at about four different bait sites all in zone 6. Best advice I got so far is to spread the corn around a big area about thirty yards around the stand instead of piles. Deer pick at it, bear seem to like it better if it's in a pile. My new spot had bear poop in it when I got it. When I followed that advice two weeks ago, I have only seen coyotes and deer on my cameras. Hopefully it will work till October.

#12 ·
Try trophy rock or Bag R Buck. In areas where I hunt that have bears I prefer bag r buck. You can hang it high in the trees and it is activated by rainfall. It seems bears love corn molasses and sweet feed the most. Stay away from that. Once bears have found your bait pile they will push deer off. What I like to do when baiting with corn in areas where bears reside in NJ is spread 100 pounds out in a 40 yard radius arround the tree. This keeps the deer milling it also since the food is so spread out it is less attractive to bears.

#14 ·
Bears are lazy and fat. I agree spread it out and make em work for it.
We had hundreds of pics of the bears laying down and eating our bait[wallmad] so we started tossing the corn out around the stand like bird seed in a big circle around the stand. The deer find it and will pick through the leaves and the underbrush to get at a kernel at a time while the bears don't seem to bother it unless its piled up.

#15 ·
A guy I hunted in Mississippi had a bear destroy his corn feeder. It was one of those 55 gal tripod feeders. The bear made it look like an empty beer can at a frat party.

#16 ·
Well, I guess moving the bait across a larger area doesn't necessarily keep the bears out. Hopefully it will keep them from hanging out too long though.

I found this goober on my camera this afternoon.

I also found another treestand set up thirty feet from mine, my dad's and two other friends. Like we weren't crowded enough already! Hopefully he'll change his mind and find another area soon.

#21 ·
True, baiting isn't necessary for a kill. But it does keep the deer around a little longer for me to try to get a clean shot. You see I'm basically new to this whole bow hunting thing. I'll take all the help I can get. If you can harvest deer regularly without bait, more power to you. But I ain't no pro. I'm just here to have some fun, help eliminate some of NJ's seriously overpopulated deer, and fill my freezer.

#23 ·
Looks like state land, zone 6 possibly, those rocks look famalier
I was thinking the same thing. New hiking trail was just cut through last year(?) now everybody and their cousins will be hunting there.;)

mikec you know where I mean?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.