NewJerseyHunter.com is the premier Hunting Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member #
    On my farms, I hunt thin strips of timber that connect larger timber pieces and/or food plots or crop fields. Mature bucks will travel in the thinnest of hedge rows.

During the rut, I look for the same features, but between doe bedding.

Public land is tough. Alot of the time they are just a chunk of woods, not a farm with hedge rows, fields and wood lots.

So, identifying a funnel or pinch point can be tough.

First thing first..find the destination. Be it a crop field, food plot, bait site, or acorn flat.

Then work backwards, towards the deer.

Like said above, terrain features are what you need to find, along with areas of heavy thicket.

Deer wil travel along streams. Find a good stream or canal. Look for the stream crossing(s), usually at the swallowest water.

Hunting along briar thickets is always a plus.

If you have ridges or hallows, deer will travel the bottoms in the evening and tops in the morning, especially during the rut.

cedar thickets are almost ALWAYS a funnel for mature deer. They will bed in or near them and work them thicket while enroute to feeding or does.

If you have a really open patch of timber in your woods, look where the woods start to get thick again. Areas with alot of mature timber, sapligs AND undergrowth- mature deer feel safe in these areas.

These are their natural escape trails. I like to set up in a thick area on an escape trail.
    I'm not sure about that tactic, Bri. I understand the theory behind it, but wouldnt bet on that tactic, alone.

Too many factors, including the direction and time that you walked in.

The MAIN things you want to find would be destinations and bedding. Once you've located those, you can spot the funnels alot easier.
    I'm the smile on the face of every criminal you'll ever acquit. I'm the things you've done that you'll never admit....

Member #
    Escape trails over the years have been very productive for me. But as you know Droptine I am extremely conscious of my scent exit, entrance, and on stand thermals. Believe it or not I have killed alot of deer with the bow off of drives on state land during the winter bow season as well with this particular tactic. Full Draw do you have any cameras? They tend to help alot. Droptine 249 and I have cameras out 365 days in the year in various areas and they really help us pattern bucks.
    No matter what happens, whether you succeed or not, if you stand up and do it right and pay attention, hunting will always give you what you need. It may not be what you were looking for, but it will absolutely be important enough to justify whatever you did to get it.”
    Edison Marshall

Member #
    Droptine 249 and I have cameras out 365 days in the year in various areas and they really help us pattern bucks.
    Yes...CAMERAS !!

Funnels and pinch points can be "sensitive" areas for bucks. So walking through them just a few times may distrupt that area for a few weeks or months !!

Scout it, locate the destinations, bedding, and when you find that one, secret little trail..Drop your camera. LEave it there year-round. You'll start to learn a TON about the buck(s) using that trail.

Just remember, when you're hunting a mature buck, close to his bedroom, you usually wont see many or any deer in that area.

I was hunting a nice buck last year. I never found his exact bed, but located the area and knew where he was traveling. While hunting HIM, I saw NO other deer. Even the deer tracts in teh area were all his, no others.

So if you're not seeing deer, dont get discouraged, that might mean you've done your job. I ended up seeing him once out of this stand set..and he knew something was up.

Once the rut rolled around, I moved to a different stand, because I knew alot about him, I knew where he would travel. I ended up getting a shot on him with my bow but my arrow smacked a limb. 140-150" buck, too. North Jersey has got it going on..

Hopefully he is still around.
    I'm the smile on the face of every criminal you'll ever acquit. I'm the things you've done that you'll never admit....

MTH
    Member #
    Funnels and pinch points can be pretty much anything. I've found and successfully hunted the following: Narrow strips of woods between wood lots, narrow strips of land between swamps, narrow strips of land running parrallel to a road bordered by ridge, ridge lines, saddles in ridge lines where deer cross over.

There are countless examples-just look for some natural features that will tend to concentrate deer moving through the area
    Lord make me fast and accurate,
    May my draw be smooth and unseen
    Let my aim be straight and my shot true,

Grant me the skill to make the shots I can,
    The restraint to avoid those I can't,
    And the wisdom to know the difference,

So that I may be blessed with the bounty you provide

Amen
    The NJH Bow Hunters Prayer

Member #
    First thing first..find the destination. Be it a crop field, food plot, bait site, or acorn flat.

Then work backwards, towards the deer.
    Some recommend that you setup about 15 yard from the spot where yu expect the deer. But sometimes this is impossible.

Mature bucks will travel in the thinnest of hedge rows.
    Do deer usually travel along the hedgerows or within them? Or is this something that can be known without scouting?

Member #
    Mature bucks tend to stay within the hedgerows because it makes them feel safer. You should be able to tell if they are traveling the interior or exterior of the hedgerow by scouting.
    No matter what happens, whether you succeed or not, if you stand up and do it right and pay attention, hunting will always give you what you need. It may not be what you were looking for, but it will absolutely be important enough to justify whatever you did to get it.”
    Edison Marshall

Member #
    Mature bucks tend to stay within the hedgerows because it makes them feel safer. You should be able to tell if they are traveling the interior or exterior of the hedgerow by scouting.
    Sounds good. Thanks

MTH
    Member #
    Do deer usually travel along the hedgerows or within them?
    I hunt a 700 acre farm in Andover. I've seen deer inside the hedge rows, and traveling along them--mostly traveling along the hedge rows
    Lord make me fast and accurate,
    May my draw be smooth and unseen
    Let my aim be straight and my shot true,

Grant me the skill to make the shots I can,
    The restraint to avoid those I can't,
    And the wisdom to know the difference,

So that I may be blessed with the bounty you provide

Amen
    The NJH Bow Hunters Prayer

Non Typical
    Sponsors
    Member #
    Full Draw, Welcome To The wonderful World Of Bow Hunting, Not One Thing Better In The Whole World, Good Luck Full Draw, Don`t Forget, "PICK A SPOT" Don`t Shoot At The Deer, PICK A SPOT!!!!!

"71 DAYS"

Member #
    Feeding areas are key in the early bow season..(Between feedding areas and bedding areas is good stand location) Picking mutiple stand locations I would think is key because of wind direction, but what else might be a reason to have another location (Other than your spot is taken! Also what should be some of the reason to have a seperate stand location for morning and evening hunts. (Or is this just determined on how the deer are moving in my particular location. Thx

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsors