New Jersey Hunters banner

ageing deer poop.

4K views 48 replies 31 participants last post by  BuckBuster 
#1 ·
Wonering if anyone can help w/ reading deer poop.I know if its fresh its smooth and shiney with a sweet taste[hihi]Any help would be great!

#15 ·
swampfrog, the best way to tell that would be to perform a forensic experiment...take a dump in the woods and photograph it each day...u could even name it "bob" for a more personal feel. then using your photos as a reference u could compare the pics to deer droppings u find. of course i forgot to mention your diet prior would be mainly corn from your feed patch, twigs grass and sticks

#23 ·
I guess this means nobody knows.

Really? Wow... This would be really useful if it were possible to tell approx age of poo.

How long do you guys think this stuff can stay in the woods prior to becoming unidentifiable? I mean... I see sign all the time... but is it a DAY old.. a WEEK old.. LAST SEASONS? Anyone have an actual useful answer?

#24 ·
I've often wondered the same thing and would be very interested in knowing the answer.

When I find brown, rough droppings, I assume they're old. The best is when I find droppings over the fresh snow, because they're obviously newer than the snow. Otherwise, it's hard to tell.

I've also noticed that some scrapes will have lots of dropping piles of different ages. What's that? A public restroom? Is this a good spot to hunt? I've never actually seen a deer on one.

#25 ·
All kidding aside....newer pellets are shiney. Older are dull. Rough have been exposed to alot of rain/snow. You really do have to bite down on one to access. If it is soft and your teeth clip through it like licorice it is less than two days old. If it pops in half and shows a mild tooth dent where you bit it...2 - 5 days. If it cracks, showing little tooth indentation, and fragments into more than two pieces you have 5 - 10 days. If it powders in your mouth and on your lips it is older than 10 days and you shouldn't give a $hit. Hey....you've just eaten it. Learn to tell the older than 10 day by eye so you don't get the dust in your mouth. Those are rough guidelines but when you find a shiny - fresh pile you can go back daily and record notes on the texture. Using teeth are important because your bite is the most consistant pressure known to man. Think about how your teeth chew so hard but don't meet. What happens when you meet an unexpected bone chip or #6 shot while chewing? You dang near break you teeth! Your teeth are a precise and consistant pressure machine. Use it - and you'll know your $hit. [up]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.