Is a bow a firearm in Holmdel? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Is a bow a firearm in Holmdel?

Member #
    There are tons of articles and studies that classify deer as a pest. Just an example:

https://www.pubs.ext.vt.edu/content/...ORT-62-PDF.pdf

If you are on less than 5 acres I would be more concerned with a deer running off of your property after shooting it with a bow. Make sure you have permission from your neighbors to retrieve it.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Almquist View Post

As a practical matter, killing deer isn't an effective control strategy for an individual home owner or farmer because the animals cover too large a range and there are too many of them.
    A dead deer does not spread disease or eat plants and shrubs. It's 100% effective.
    hiking and zipper like this.

Member #
    I always thought a "weapon" was defined as something to defend life or property. A bow is a tool with a useful purpose! That's my story and sticking to it!

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodtrails View Post
    There are tons of articles and studies that classify deer as a pest. Just an example:

https://www.pubs.ext.vt.edu/content/...ORT-62-PDF.pdf

If you are on less than 5 acres I would be more concerned with a deer running off of your property after shooting it with a bow. Make sure you have permission from your neighbors to retrieve it.
    I'm sure there are. Here the OP will be trying to defend himself in a town that is already set against him.....a battle he will likely not win. If he did, then the municipality would be establishing a precedent. Based on the fact that they have this ordinance, I'm betting they won't.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaky Jake View Post
    I hunt a town that has a "no discharge" ordinance. It clearly covers the discharge of any "projectile". However, the legal use of weapons for the purpose of hunting is allowed. As far as them telling you that you need 5 or more acres is their opinion of a safe amount of land. NO hunting LAW on paper makes that requirement in NJ. To fight this would be your own choice and I'm sure that you'd bear the burden of lawyers fees. Best of luck.
    I am not sure you are right. Local ordinance can restrict this type of activity above and beyond state restrictions and this appears to be the case.

I am deplorable

Member #
    This is why wherever I hunt, I keep a low profile. Even on property I own! It's nobody's business to know where and when I hunt. I often park my vehicle in an inconspicuous spot and put my camouflage on in the woods. Be sneaky my friend be sneaky.
    a large Farva likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
    I am not sure you are right. Local ordinance can restrict this type of activity above and beyond state restrictions and this appears to be the case.
    No town can restrict hunting. Only F&G can do that. Towns get around it with no discharge laws.
    Bowtech Insanity #60
    Elite Energy 32 #70

Member #
    like most town ordinances the local judge will find you guilty as he determines if you broke the towns law or ordinance not whether the law was accurate or admissible. the appeal process goes to the county judge and there you can and do have a better chance with the appeal ... take some time and money but sometimes worth it... i would not talk to the person at the desk in town , I would line up my facts ask local CO for his take and get him to help with case law or what he knows and or would enforce... and i would reach direct to the solicitor of the town .... i would get his stance ... i have gone this far prior to having any problems and in some towns it worked out real well , others not so well.... a little summer ground work may turn in to a fall of big bone....
    zipper likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcol6268 View Post
    No town can restrict hunting. Only F&G can do that. Towns get around it with no discharge laws.
    If you say so, I am actually not sure. Is Princeton Twp no Hunt zone or no discharge?

I am deplorable

Member #
    Nutley NJ even went as far as limiting what most would consider a spit ball from a straw. Anything that shoots any projectile was illegal. That being said I shot my bow for 10 years right on Bloomfield ave.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsors