Does hingecutting attract and hold deer? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Does hingecutting attract and hold deer?

Member #
    Gotchya!! Nice!!!

Member #
    Watched once. I counted 31 cross the opening with others still caught up on the left. Good luck with letting the buck mature. They have a hangout!

Member #
    Tom , when you hinge cut is there a pattern you use to drop the trees or do you drop them randomly ? I am going to start this weekend . Thanks in advance.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Are you afraid that your mast crop will suffer in the future ?
    The act of killing is visceral .......

Member #
    It works great we did it for years in zone 5 polkville. I'm annoyed you don't have any snow

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ 11 View Post
    Tom , when you hinge cut is there a pattern you use to drop the trees or do you drop them randomly ? I am going to start this weekend . Thanks in advance.
    1st you need a plan on how to enter and exit the property to hunt it. I also take into consideration food sources and most important where the neighbors are hunting. You want to enhance your property to your benefit and not the neighbors. Usually I look for the most difficult area to hunt on the property and that area becomes a sanctuary. Depending how your property lays out, it could be the back of the property or it could be the center. I like to cut trees I can safely handle like 6 to 8 inch or smaller. Starting out I would cut several small areas if possible for different doe groups. Think of them as seperate families. Families will bed together but different families need a little seperation. Does are actually pretty nasty towards other does. In order to hold several families you need several areas. Start with a cluster of smaller trees you can cut as high as safely possible to form an overhead canopy. Nice flat spots, free of rocks and sticks. Clean it up a bit if you have to. Do several areas. On the outer edge of canopy, I like to hinge cut
    Lower like knee to waist high to form a barrier to block their view a bit. Makes them feel safe and also helps block hunters accessing stands. Each season you can expand these areas a little more. I usually spend one weekend a year cutting. I find right before green up. Its cooler, no ticks yet and the trees hinge better I think when temps are above freezing and they are not as heavy as they are with leaves on them.
    As far as the cut, a slight angle on the cut. Dont try to fight the tree lean and help the tree to the ground if possible. If you cut too far and let them fall, they tend to hit the ground hard and snap off. Be safe and wear safety gear. . Its fun but can be
    Dangerous. Once you establish a sanctuary with bedding , you need to stay out. My wife likes to ride her quad around the farm but once August hits she knows to stay out of the woods lol

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rdfhunter View Post
    Are you afraid that your mast crop will suffer in the future ?
    Actually yes. I have never seen this many deer around. The hinge cuts put a lot of browse at deer level. I have oaks that drop a good crop of acorns, I have honeysuckle and natural crab apples.
    Ive planted 10 apple trees as well as a few crab apples and 2 chestnut trees. 5 acres of food plots and 2 man made water holes. Also feed corn during the season and run a feeder that spits a little corn during the off season.
    I am used to seeing a group of 10 to 12. I saw at least 40 one night early January in the snow. Usually when season ends, they filter back where they came from but they are sticking around longer than in the past
    Last edited by tcook8296; 03-20-2017 at 07:44 PM.

Member #
    The grouse in warren county approved too

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by randolphray View Post
    It works great we did it for years in zone 5 polkville. I'm annoyed you don't have any snow
    we got about 5 inches, its just about gone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsors