New Jersey Hunters banner

English pointer VS. German shorthair

26K views 22 replies 20 participants last post by  NJ_Hunter 
#1 ·
What are some advantages/disadvantages of each breed? Thanks

#2 ·
They're both excellent breeds,as is any well trained bird dog,but if you are looking for natural born instinct,get yourself a setter.[hihi]Only JOKING EVERYONE.[kiss]Trust me,i enjoy watching ANY breed dog work in the field or on water.BTW,didn't you respond to the post about a free english pointer?how did you make out with that?

#3 ·
I can only tell you about my buddy's GSP. Independent but faithful. Extremely athletic. Hunts like a marathoner on crack! I once watched her chase a low flying bird for about a hundred yards, jump up and catch it mid-flight. It was unreal![up] Very determined and deliberate with a nose that I've seen pick up a sparrow 40 yds in a 20 mph down wind.[eek] Once on point, she locks in and will not move. This one takes direction from both of us, but responds to sharply barked orders better than friendly coersion. A little too hyper to keep in a house or around small kids, but a blast to hunt with.[up]

#4 ·
Birdup yea I replied to the english pointer post hence why I started this post....... All my research is on gsp's but if a free english comes about I'm going to ask questions. I'm looking at her in the morn hopefully

#5 ·
I have had both. Right now I have a GSP and he is the best dog I couldve asked for. He is very loving in the family always wants to cuddle but when we go out in the field its all business. He has almost a split personality. He will work all day if he needs to and I have never seen a better nose than on this guy. on the other hand, my english pointer was more independent and didnt have the same natural instinct as my gsp. however the athleticism of the EP may outmatch my GSP but its hard to tell..personally i dont think you can go wrong with either one.

Here is a pic of my GSP. He weighs about 70 lbs

#7 ·
Let me start by saying I'm a solid Brittany man myself. That said, all pointing dogs have some English Pointer in them. The breed is the most refined pointing breed there is with hundreds of years of breeding to produce the best dogs for pointing. They will have a "longer nose" than other breeds, can run faster and longer than the other breeds, etc.

Of course there are always exceptions, but there is a reason that pointers win the national gun dog championships and fill the hall of fame. Personally speaking, I don't like their personalities (fighting words, I know). But as far as breeding goes, no other breeds come close and if you had to choose one breed that does, it would be the English Setter which also has a lengthy breeding history for pointing (or "setting") birds.

But I love my Brittanys and will stick with that breed as I love them in the field and in the home. Regardless of breed, go with a proven breeder and spend the time and money to train your dog right and you'll have a great field and family dog.

#8 ·
I am definitely an English Pointer fan. I have had 2, both from Indian Creek (Sparta, NJ) and I will never buy another dog or use another breeder. They are awesome with the kids, calm in the house (couch potatoes), and the most driven bird dogs you will ever hunt with. Incredible prey drive but also very obedient. From the right breeder, to me the English Pointer is the perfect dog. By the way, see my other post on a Brittany for sale. Also a nice dog, just doesn't compare to the drive my Pointer has. I need to separate the 2 dogs as the Pointer won't give the poor Brittany a rest. She deserves a new home.

#9 ·
[eyeroll] You asked for Plus and Minus for GSP and EP but it's not much. I owned three Brittanies to my friends and families many GSP's. The Brittany can get into heavy cover better than the larger dog. The smaller dog is easier to transport and feed. The smaller dog is easier to clean up after. Look at the area you hunt and personal needs. That should determine what dog you choose. They will all find game.

#10 ·
I had a GSP and now I have a English pointer. When you own both your question is like which one of your kids do you like better.
I have own and hunted over many breeds and all where great in the field, in the kennel or in the house.
IMO the only draw back on long hair hunting dogs is that they require too much maintenance.

#12 ·
good luck mine is 3 years old now & still covers ground like a madman about 34 miles in a full day hunt.Their great dogs.

#14 ·
Ive had both growing up..G.s.p. seem to be real high strung and alittle hard headed but everyone I owned,had a great nose.. The english pointers are very laid back,close working and well mannered.. Both great dogs depends on what you want..I have an Elhew English Pointer now and dont think I'll ever have another as good as her..Great house dog,great with kids, and is 100% kick ass in the field.. Good luck!!

#15 ·
Update....she has all basic obediance down. I purchased "the perfect start" and so far so good. I have introduced her several times to 500+ acres of private land on a 50ft check cord. She gets excited everytime I grab the lead...can't wait to introduce her to birds...
Sincerly, happy owner

#19 ·
I have a GSP never had an English Pointer, so I only can speak about my experience with the GSP. Outstanding hunter, with extremely strong prey drive. Will work for you till you can't walk anymore, never gives up on a bird, excellent nose bar none. Solid on point, listens to commands.
He lives in the house with my children, and is protective of the home. Will bark if anyone comes on the property. He loves to be with you no matter what you are doing (swimming in the pool).

Very active dog needs large yard to run, if you do not have a large yard you will have to take him for looong walks.

#22 ·
Don't get either get a Setter and a Ryman at that!!!!!!!!!!!

If you can deal with the hair keeping inside:p

You have to work harder with tight dogs and cover more ground. Free range hunt harder and find more birds, don't want a dog at my feet. Rather go to the dog on point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.